13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2010 7:19 AM by comment_1

Lock The Field

Dr.D

Title

Lock The Field

FileMaker Pro 10 

I have set up a bunch of fields with Validation - "allow user to override during data entry" <= Did Not check on this option, which I expect the user is unable to override the value in the fields, but it does not work, the user is free to edit that field...

The user profile as " data entry " only, which clearly has limited access, what am I misssing to get this restriction works??   Thanks

• 1. Re: Lock The Field
          DLW-BPEX

What type of validation is assigned to the fields? i.e., what is required?

David 

• 2. Re: Lock The Field
            Dr.D

It is a Calculated Field, require " Not Empty ", validate " During Data Entry "... 

It is too bad that I cannot paste the screen shot here, which will tell the full description... Thanks

• 3. Re: Lock The Field
              DLW-BPEX

Does not sound right. If the field contents is the result of a calculation, the user should not be able to enter/modify the field.

And if in fact it is set up as a calc field, you should not have the opportunity to set validation anyway.

It sounds as though the field is not really a calc field. If just text, e.g., the user is complying with the validation requirement by entering something/anything -- "not empty". 

• 4. Re: Lock The Field
                Dr.D
                   Yes, I know what you are saying, I should have said the field is set up with " pre-assigned value ", the logic is working fine, I just need to block the field such that no one can edit the value... Thanks
                • 5. Re: Lock The Field
                  DLW-BPEX
                     In layout mode, under field behavior, you can de-select "allow field to be entered".
                  • 6. Re: Lock The Field
                    Dr.D
                       There are only 2 choices under Allow Field to be Entered :- "In Browse Mode" & " In Find Mode", which one will take care the problem I have...   Thanks
                    • 7. Re: Lock The Field
                      comment_1

Anything you do on the layout level, provides no security whatsoever. If you want prohibit users modifying auto-entered values, say so right there in the Auto-Enter tab - or use Accounts and Priviliges to restrict their access to the field.

Not sure why the field cannot be a calculation field to begin with.

• 8. Re: Lock The Field
                        DLW-BPEX
                           Assuming that your users work in Browse mode and that is where you want to prevent their changing data, you would de-slect the option for Browse. If you to let them enter Find criteria into those fields, though, you would leave it selected in Find mode.
                        • 9. Re: Lock The Field
                          DLW-BPEX

comment,

That got my attention. Could you please elaborate on why blocking entry to a field provides no security?

Thank you.

David 

• 10. Re: Lock The Field
                            comment_1

DLW-BPEX wrote:
                            Could you please elaborate on why blocking entry to a field provides no security?

Not really, because I don't want go give out instructions to hackers. Let me just point out that blocking entry to a specific field instance on a specific layout does just that.

• 11. Re: Lock The Field
                              DLW-BPEX

Ah, yes. Thank you.

I was thinking more in terms of routinely restricting users' options (e.g., against lazy or inadvertent changes), as opposed to issues of real security. 

• 12. Re: Lock The Field
                                Dr.D

Hello Super Contributor, below is the specification in that field, how do I make it a calculated field as you have suggested?? when it is a pre-assigned value based on a set of Radio Buttom selection... Thanks

Case( XXX = "Yes" ; 0 ;
                                XXX = "No" ; 0 ;
                                XXX = "N/A" ; 2; )

• 13. Re: Lock The Field
                                  comment_1
                                     Change the field's type to Calculation, using the same formula.