2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2014 2:05 PM by bobsfiles

Locking a User out when file is in use with Dropbox

lboyer30

Title

Locking a User out when file is in use with Dropbox

Hi -

I currently store my FM file on Dropbox so multiple people can access it and updated it.  However, we are having the problem of two people editing it at once, resulting in a conflicted copy.  I would like to set something up to notify the user when someone is already in it. or to simply lock them out when it is already being edited.  Since we are each using a local copy of the database and then synching it to dropbox, I am not sure if this is possible?  

Has anyone figured this out?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Locking a User out when file is in use with Dropbox
          philmodjunk

Drop box is not an effective way to share your file as you have discovered. It should be hosted from FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server so that each user can use Open Remote from FileMaker Pro to open and access the database.

• 2. Re: Locking a User out when file is in use with Dropbox
            bobsfiles

I share this individual's problem. Two of us use the database, one more often that the other who only enters data into one or two fields maybe three times a week. Other folks access the data via PDF or CSV files exported by scripts in the database when changes are made.

Most of the time the system serves us well but we have had a couple of times when conflicted files have been generated. The fellow forum member's request to mark a file as "In use" or alternatively blocking use of the file until it has been closed by the first user would be a great help.

Does anyone have a suggestion other than telling us that using DropBox is ineffective?