3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2009 12:35 AM by nilkse

Locking down records

nilkse

Title

Locking down records

Hi I have a specific requirement and was wondering if anyone can help. i have created my own database and what i need to do is once all the mandatory fields have been filled in i want that record to then be locked and only be editable again on the pressing of a button of some sort. Is this possible and are there any pointers anyone can give me.

best regards

• 1. Re: Locking down records
          philmodjunk

nilkse wrote:

Hi I have a specific requirement and was wondering if anyone can help. i have created my own database and what i need to do is once all the mandatory fields have been filled in i want that record to then be locked and only be editable again on the pressing of a button of some sort. Is this possible and are there any pointers anyone can give me.

best regards

Nilkse,

The database that I spend most of my time supporting is a POS type invoicing system. Thus, once an invoice has been printed handed to the customer, the record (and records from a related table) cannot not be modified further. That sound familiar?

Here's how I do it:

I've defined a status field that my scripts can check to see if has been printed or not.

I lock and hide the status area so that users can't use the "book" control to manually flip through records

Since all record to record navigation is controlled by script, I have two layouts:  In one layout all the fields are open for editing. In the duplicate layout, they are all locked. The scripts check the record's status field and select either the "locked" or "unlocked" layout for the given record.

To control field access on a layout, select the field in layout mode and choose Field/Control | Behavior...

The above method works for all versions of FMP back to 3.0. If you are using FMP 10, you have a new option. You can set script triggers on your layout that check the status of your record and switch between locked and unlocked copies of your data entry layout.

• 2. Re: Locking down records
            Jade

Alternatively, the last technique described in this thread is also effective…

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&message.id=8174#M8174 

• 3. Re: Locking down records
              nilkse

Thanks for your responses I will have a go at this and let you know how I get on. I really appreciate your help.