2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2009 8:51 AM by philmodjunk

Locking previous data in a field, but enabling editing/adding dates for new entries

Keystone

Title

Locking previous data in a field, but enabling editing/adding dates for new entries

OK, I'll try to explain my long winded subject line...

I have a "notes' field in my resume database... I'd like to be able to 'lock' any previous notes that were added to the field, but be able to enter new notes cumulatively.

Also, is there any way to automatically insert the date and time of each new entry? I'd like to have something that looks like this:

April 19, 2009: 5:30pm                  <-- auto enters when I add a new note

Left message for Bob, re: engineering position  <-- can't modify or delete once entered

April 20, 2009: 3:21pm

Bob called me back, interested in position, sending me updated resume

Any thoughts on how this could be done?

Thanks! 

• 1. Re: Locking previous data in a field, but enabling editing/adding dates for new entries
          Orlando

Hi Keystone

You can either change the field you display the Notes field on the layout to be a Calculation that simply references the notes field, this will allow users to lick into it scroll and copy text, but not edit, then have a global field under the field, or scripted to be in a pop-up, and the user inputs there note in the global and clicks a Submit button that runs a script to set the Notes field, which is not on the layout with the following calculation

Let ( date = Get ( CurrentDate ) ;

MonthName ( date ) & " " & Day ( date ) & ", " & Year ( date ) & ": " & Get ( CurrentTime ) & "¶¶" & 

Global Field

& "¶¶--¶¶" & 

Notes Field

)

Or however you want that formatted.

That should do it.

Another option is a separate table and do not allow modification to the Note field in the separate table in Access and Privilages and display the notes in a portal. Let me know if you want to go down this and need some pointers.

• 2. Re: Locking previous data in a field, but enabling editing/adding dates for new entries
            philmodjunk

Given the level of complexity you want to implement. It might be much simpler to capture your notes in a series of records in a related table. Each record would represent one such entry. You could then place a date field in this table set to auto-enter a date when a new portal row (new related record) is created by typing in the note field. Locking completed entries could be implemented more easily as well.

These logged entries could then be displayed in a portal.