AnsweredAssumed Answered

Locking records

Question asked by JacquiDominguez on Sep 9, 2011
Latest reply on Sep 11, 2011 by JacquiDominguez

Title

Locking records

I know this has been asked before, and I have read the threads, but I just can't seem to find what I am looking for.  I am hoping you wise folks can help me out!

I am designing a database for the highschool where I work.  There will be several users entering student data.  I don't know how much you all have worked with teachers, but for the most part, we are not the most computer savvy bunch.  Laughing Therefore, I need to be able to lock down records so that they don't get overwritten everytime someone enters new data.  I have already limited editing privileges to the original author of each record, so that will help.  But I am sure that as teachers start inputting data, they will forget to create a new record and write right over an older one!  Is there a way to lock the data once it has been entered, or at least (ideally) set it to display an "are you sure you want to do this?" message to clue them in that they may not want to do this?

We are running FM 11 (I have advanced, everyone else has pro).  By the way, I am no programmer...just an educator with a wee bit more computer skills than some of the others at my school, but I am still learning. So feel free to talk to me like I am 5. Thanks so much for your help!

Outcomes