2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2015 10:20 AM by TedWeil_1

Locking Records after data Entry commit

RobertT

Title

Locking Records after data Entry commit

I've looked after many of the posts for locking data/fields but I cannot understand how to go about the locking the record. I read about creating a text lock field and setting things locked =locked .. which that is where I am confused of how to go about that.  I managed to prevent records from being modified like 10 minutes after a record is created, but it is still modifiable after 30 seconds committed the record.  Is there some more reference to how to lock a record after all the fields have been inputed values??

• 1. Re: Locking Records after data Entry commit
          philmodjunk

Have you read this entry in FileMaker help?

See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a description of how to set this up.

Note that it is very easy to commit a record prematurely. An alternative approach might be to use a form consisting of nothing but global fields for entering data for a new record. A "save" button on this form would then create the new record and copy over the data from the global fields to the fields of the new record. This table could then just be set up as Read Only for your users instead of using a Lock Expression.

• 2. Re: Locking Records after data Entry commit
            TedWeil_1

If you want a little more field level control on preventing accidental modification of fields, you can try the modular Field Protection triggers on ModularFileMaker.org:   http://www.modularfilemaker.org/module/field-protection-triggers/

They are simple and are designed to prevent accidental modification of data but allow deliberate changes.  They could easily be modified to prevent changes once data exists in a field.