2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2012 3:10 PM by BrianThompson

Log/Record thank you note sent

BrianThompson

Title

Log/Record thank you note sent

I'd like to log or record the date and reason for sending a thank you card to a "client" (client in my case is a financial supporter).

What I've tried so far is within the record/client creating a field that is a drop-down calendar and field that is a pop-up menu with 5 values (reasons) to choose from.

Works great. So then I just copy those two fields thinking I'd be able to enter a new date and new reason the next time I send a thank you card.

Problem - the first two fields change to show the second date entered and the second reason entered.

Is it possible to have the same field displayed on the same record multiple times, but not carry the same info?

Been searching the Help Guide, but not sure what to even call my problem, or solution, in order to search. So I'm hoping I'm making enough sense that someone can offer a solution or point me in the right direction. I think I understand fields well enough, but again, don't know what to ask to make them "independent" in the same record. Maybe I need a table or something?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Log/Record thank you note sent
          philmodjunk

If you duplicate the same field while in layout mode, this won't work for you. The fields all reference the same location in the same record of the same table and thus store only one instance of the information entered. You could open manage | database | fields, define additional fields and then use the field tool to add them to your layout, but I don't recommend it. Think of what happens once you have used all your fields to record a note being sent. To record more requires making design changes to both the table and the layout.

Instead, you should look up "portal" in FileMaker help. You should create a related table for notes with each record having a date and text field as well as a "match" field that links records in this new table to a serial number field in your original table.

Set this up right and you can put a portal to this new table on your layout and you can log an unlimited number of such events for any given customer simply by entering the data in a blank row in this portal.

• 2. Re: Log/Record thank you note sent
            BrianThompson

Thanks PhilModJunk,

Read the help page on portals. Will have to dig deeper to try and understand related tables, match fields, and serial number fields.

The last paragraph describes exactly what I want to do - a table where I can log an unlimited number of events (thank you card sends) into a blank row - like in Excel. Sounds like I need to wrap my brain around being relational in a database.