6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2012 1:07 PM by ClaudiuNemes

Logged in user go to specific layout

ClaudiuNemes

Title

Logged in user go to specific layout

Hi there,

I have a problem regarding a condition assigned to a “back to start layout” script.

In each layout of the DB I have a “Back to Start” button that goes to “Start” Layout.  In one particular case, when “OutsideGuest” (Security Account created) is logged in I want that the “Back to Start” button goes to “StartOutsideGuest” layout.

I create, only for this script, a field called

“User” [Calculation (calculation result is Text), Global, =Get(UserName)]

Because “User” have no other use, I put it as a nonprintable object,  in the header of the “Start” and the “StartOutsideGuest” layouts only, for testing purposes.

The “Back to Start” script is as follows:

[ If ( students::User = “OutsideGuest” ]

Go to Layout [“StartOutsideGuest”]

Else

Go to Layout [“Start”]

End If

So, in brief, all users have access to “Start” layout except the OutsideGuest who must be redirected to “StartOutsideGuest” layout.

Main problem is that when I connect with “OutsideGuest” credentials , =Get(UserName) function gives me the Admin name (main account) instead of “OutsideGuest”. This happens also for all the accounts created. No matter with what account I login, in “User” will be displayed the Admin.

Could anyone help me with this? Maybe I use the wrong functions?

Many thanks for your time,

Looking forward to hear news from you,

Yours,

Claudiu

• 1. Re: Logged in user go to specific layout
          philmodjunk

Use get ( AccountName ) instead of Get ( UserName )

UserName is a name specified in FileMaker preferences and you can easily have multiple computer user accounts with the same user name (or the users are all using the same user account...)

• 2. Re: Logged in user go to specific layout
            ClaudiuNemes

Hi Phil,

Many thanks for your kind reply and sorry about the delay.

I already tested with both get AccountName and UserName. Result is the same. In one case it will show always the default Account (Admin) and in the other the related name (Claudiu) no matter that I'm connected (logged in) with another account name.

I also try to refresh layout onLoad, relookup value in the field but the results are the same.

Have a great day

See you,

Yours,

Claudiu

• 3. Re: Logged in user go to specific layout
              philmodjunk

That doesn't make any sense to me. How are the users accessing your database? From a computer running FileMaker Pro or from a Web Browser?

Under no circumstances that I can conceive will get (accountName) return anything but the account name of the user who was logged in at the time the function evaluated. So reporting that it returns "the related name", does not seem possible unless your script is doing more than just check the value returned by this function.

Have you defined different accounts in Manage | Security?

How are you attempting to use Get ( AccountName ) to identify who is logging on?

• 4. Re: Logged in user go to specific layout
                ClaudiuNemes

Hi Phil,

I have one field (used only for redirect reasons and present just in Start (default) and StartOutsideGuest layout for testing reasons only)

“LoggedInUser” [Calculation (calculation result is Text), Global, =Get(AccountName)]

and I use the condition like this

[ If ( students::LoggedInUser = “OutsideGuest” ]

Else

Go to Layout [“Start”]

End If

OutsideGuest AccountName have customized Read-Only privileges.

Yours,

Claudiu

• 5. Re: Logged in user go to specific layout
                  philmodjunk

Use this script:

If [ Get ( accountName )  = “OutsideGuest” ]
                  Else
                     Go to Layout [“Start”]
                  End If

Your original calculation field should display the correct value if, instead of global storage, you select "unstored" after clicking the storage options button.

• 6. Re: Logged in user go to specific layout
                    ClaudiuNemes

Hi Phil,

You're a genius. Many thanks, everything works just fine. I put "BackToStart" script even in File Options -> Open/Close -> When opening this file -> Perform script -> "BackToStart" and works just fine on login.

Many thanks for you kind support and for the time you have spend with me. Hope I could assist you somehow in the near future.

Have a great day,

Yours,

Claudiu