3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2010 9:41 AM by dlabi

logged user how?

Ales

Title

logged user how?

Hi,

is it possible somehow find name of  logged user to the windows or OSX session? I don't want to create up to 50 different FM accounts but I need to know who is logged in and use that information for some actions.

Thank you

• 1. Re: logged user how?
          Jade

There are two script functions: Get(AccountName) and Get(UserName).  The latter is not as secure.

Get(AccountName) function

Format
          Get(AccountName)

Parameter
          None

Data type returned
          text

Description
          For FileMaker authentication, Get(AccountName) returns the name of the authenticated account being used by the current user of the database file. If a user is using the default Admin account, Get(AccountName) returns Admin. If a user is using the FileMaker Pro guest account then [Guest] will be returned.

For external server authentication, Get(AccountName) returns the name of the authenticated account being used by the current user of the database file, not the group the user belongs to (the group name appears in the Account list when you define accounts and privileges in FileMaker Pro). If an individual belongs to more than one group (account), the first group name listed when youView By Authentication Order while defining accounts and privileges determines access for the user.

Get(UserName) function

Format
          Get(UserName)

Parameter
          None

Data type returned
          text

Description
          Returns the name of the FileMaker Pro user, as specified in the General tab of the Preferences dialog box. The returned name is user-specified.
          Important   For greater security, use Get(AccountName) to track and manage user access: a user cannot change the account name used to log in to a database file.
          Note   See Solving calculations on a host machine for information about running scripts in client/server and peer-to-peer environments.

Example
          Returns Sharon Lloyd when Sharon Lloyd is the current user.

• 3. Re: logged user how?
            dlabi

Jade> It is useless for me. These functions returns user name who is logged to FM database and it is always the same name in my case.We use one general login for web access. That is way I need to read system login to distinguish who is logged in.

>  GetValue( Substitute( Get ( DesktopPath ) ; "/" ; "¶" ) ; 4 ) this could be a way. I'll try it.