11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2009 10:08 AM by philmodjunk

Login and passwords

nealt

Title

Login and passwords

I have set a name and password for a filemaker file. However Filemaker always defaults to the computer long user name even though it is not in the list. Also no password I know works. So how do I get rid of this default name?

• 1. Re: Login and passwords
          philmodjunk

As far as I know you can't. You have to delete the default name and enter the one you want if it's not the same as the computer's "user name". In the near future I'll be educating my fellow employees to

1) Press "Shift-Tab" and then delete the account name default

2) enter their account name

3) press tab

4) enter their password

5) press enter

Since they currently use an old version of filemaker that doesn't use account names, I expect to hear a lot of complaints over the hassle. I've posted this to the User Feedback forum and have made a matching entry in their feature request form.

Perhaps if other users complained, they might be a bit more motivated to fix this in a future release?

• 2. Re: Login and passwords
            nealt
               The account user name has been deleted. Unfortunately FM 10 still defaults to the computer Long Name with an unknown password. Help please.
            • 3. Re: Login and passwords
              philmodjunk

In your first post you said: "I have set a name and password for a filemaker file. However Filemaker always defaults to the computer long user name even though it is not in the list. Also no password I know works. So how do I get rid of this default name?"

1. You open the database and a dialog box appears asking you for an account name and password
              2. The account name is in a text box you can edit correct? Simply click to the left of the account name and press the delete key until the user name is gone. Now enter the name you set according to your first post.
              3. Enter your password .
              4. Click OK

The database file should now open for you.

• 4. Re: Login and passwords
                nealt
                   Yes I know that. I can get into the database file without any problem using an alternate user name and password that I set up with full access. I am trying to get rid of the default user name coming up. I want another user name come up as the default-Something that I have not figured out how to do. And what is the point of coming up with the system user name if it is not going to recognize the password that comes with it?
                • 5. Re: Login and passwords
                  nealt
                     Lets see if I can clarify my problem. Assume:

Computer Name= John Doe, Password JD, full access

Filemaker User=Admin, Password ad,  full access

Filemaker User=Schmitt, Password sc,  full access

I want Schmitt to be the default user name coming up in the login dialog box. Unfortunately John Doe always comes up. And Filemaker does not accept the password JD.

Yes I can delete John Doe and substitute Schmitt. But why cannot I have Schmit come up by default in the login dialog box?

Thanks

• 6. Re: Login and passwords
                    philmodjunk

As I said in my first Post, I would like to be able to do that also. As far as I know, you can't. I have provided feed back via the user feedback forum and have posted a feature request on this matter.

If others do the same, it will tell Filemaker that this is a significant issue to fix in a future release of their product.

If you agree with me, I suggest you do the same.

• 7. Re: Login and passwords
                      comment_1

How about:

File > File Options… > Open/Close > Log in using: Account Name and Password

• 8. Re: Login and passwords
                        philmodjunk

Only if you want the database to open without asking for any password.

• 9. Re: Login and passwords
                          comment_1
                             If you don't want the file to login automatically, only to pre-fill the account name and wait for the password, then go to the application's preferences, and under the 'General' tab set User Name to 'Other:YourPreferredAccountHere'.
                          • 10. Re: Login and passwords
                            nealt

Comments suggestion does what I want.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Login and passwords
                              philmodjunk
                                 Glad it works for nealt. It doesn't work for me because we need each computer to have a unique user name.