8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2013 5:32 PM by indiguy

Login Logout screen

projay

Title

Login Logout screen

Whats the best way to handle a screen that allows you to logout completely and to re-login as another user?

-J

• 1. Re: Login Logout screen
          philmodjunk

use the ReLogin Script step. It's tailor made for this purpose and very handy to you, the developer when you are working with your access security set up and need to test your database using accounts with different privilege sets.

• 2. Re: Login Logout screen
            projay

Hi Phil, what if its a multi-user computer? You have a few people going back going back and forth.  Is their a way to go to one screen used to log in and out of?

-J

• 3. Re: Login Logout screen
              philmodjunk

Makes no difference. ReLogIn brings back the password dialog for the current user, it has no impact on other users that may already be logged in on other systems or accounts.

• 4. Re: Login Logout screen
                projay

The whole idea was when no one is at the computer it should not be logged in to anyone...but have a display with a login window for whoever wants to login...hopefully I am not getting to confusing.

-J

• 5. Re: Login Logout screen
                  philmodjunk

Relogin can do exactly that. It can pop the log in window back up. But the challenge would be to get this step to execute at the proper time--when the user has been idle for a specified time period. If this is network hosted database as you have indicated, then go into manage security for the users' privilege set(s) and specify "disconnect when idle" to forcibly log them off after a specified idle time. (This requires FileMaker Server.)

• 6. Re: Login Logout screen
                    pjc_1

I was searching how to do this... Thanks for the clear info :-) 

• 7. Re: Login Logout screen
                      projay

Well Phil I think I finally figured out something that I was after...see attached pic. On a window thats the only screen thats visible when one steps away and logs out (basically changing to that layout). 

He is still logged in but if someone else comes to the monitor they will see that screen they cannot not see anything else unless they log in with their credentials or some kind of major hacker. 

So far it is doing what I needed it to do...but who knows.  Thanks...any input feel free.

-J

• 8. Re: Login Logout screen
                        indiguy

Hi Jay P..

i am new to FM..i am using FMP12 ADV..can you tell me step by step..how to get this login page on layout..what kind of fields i need to store username and password..can you send me simple FM database..so i can get the excat idea..

it will be a great help..

thanx a lot in advance..

rgds