6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2009 11:03 AM by 12BEmancipated

Logout

12BEmancipated

Title

Logout

I am using Filemaker 10 Pro Advanced

I am using Instant Web Publishing, however I have several users who are "Limited" in their computer skills and I would like to limit there exposure to things that look complicated.

One of my concerns is the frame on the left edge of the Web Publishing GUI, I can close it to eliminate the collection of small icons and then simply replicate the ones I need in the actual database. However I cannot figure out how to script a "Logout", if it is even possible or important. Should I just allow the user to close the browser and thus let Filemaker force them to Login again when they need to.

I will probably find the answer to this within seconds of posting it. 

• 1. Re: Logout
          Skeyelab

i am also interested in knowing this.

also, how do you direct a user to a page with out the left frame?  just direct them to the right frame URL alone?

• 2. Re: Logout
            TSGal

12BEmancipated:

Thank you for your post.

With FileMaker Pro 10 (and earlier), you can specify accounts and privileges, so users only have access to specific fields or layouts depending on their name and password.  Think of it as someone who visits your home.  If they are a stranger, you may not let them in.  Or, if you know them, you may allow them into your living room, but you wouldn't allow them access to your bedroom.  If they are your children, they may have even more access, but they wouldn't have access to a safe.  I think you get the analogy....  :-)

Everyone has access to the Instant Web Publishing Status area on the left side.

You can script a Log Out by using the script step "Exit Application".  Put a button on the layout that executes this command or a script that contains this command.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Logout
              TSGal

Skeyelab:

Thank you for your post.

You can direct users to different layouts/pages by using buttons that either switch layouts, or calls a script that performs some action that includes switching to a layout.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Logout
                12BEmancipated

Thank You TSGal, for the reply.

I do understand the complex restrictions that come with account privileges and such. I create my layouts with the Administrator in mind, then duplicate the layout and remove the fields I wish to restrict from the next level user. Unfortunately I think I may not have been clear and you misunderstood my question.

I have a couple of users who have very limited skills on the computer, period. I have scripted my navigation buttons, when using the Instant Web Publishing, to move about without showing the frame on the left, as it contains buttons such as the "Show All Records", and I am trying to restrict these users from confusing themselves by showing them records that do not pertain to themselves. The records are not sensitive, just extraneous. I am sure they will use the interface without ever discovering that frame is even there. I can simulate the remaining functionality but I am unsure how to make the "Logout" button work, I have tried the "Exit Application" to no avail. Can you give me an example of the script? Should I create a button that has a URL back to the index page of the company intranet with the  "Exit Application" as well? Can I be sure that they have been logged out? Thank you for your efforts.

Thank You

12BEmancipated

• 5. Re: Logout
                  TSGal

12BEmancipated:

Here is one way I have "Exit Application" working:

1. Create a new database file "Test.fp7", with one field and one record.

2. Create a new script "Exit", with one script step:

Exit Application

3. Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".

4. Draw a rectangle, pull down the Format menu and select "Button Setup..."

5. Click on "Perform Script" and select the script "Exit".

6. Pull down the File menu and select "Sharing -> Instant Web Publishing"

7. Turn on Instant Web Publishing, select "Test.fp7", and set access to All Users.

8. Go to a second machine, launch the browser, and access the first machine for Instant Web Publishing.

9. Select "Test.fp7".

10. Click the rectangle, and you should be logged out and returned to the Instant Web Publishing screen.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Logout
                    12BEmancipated

ThankYou TSGal,

That is pretty much the way I had it, but I was unable to confirm I was Logged out. Perhaps it is because I beta test on the same computer.

12BEmancipated