1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 10, 2015 11:46 AM by mattb

Long launch times for compiled FMP12 app under OSX 10.9 and 10.10

mattb

Title

Long launch times for compiled FMP12 app under OSX 10.9 and 10.10

I posted a query regarding this on Oct. 1, and got no replies, so here we go again:

I have a compiled FMP 12 app that launches with wildly variable amounts of time under different versions of OSX.

On my white MacBook using OSX 10.6.8, the app launches in 15 seconds.

On my client's MacBook Pro using OSX 10.9.5 (Mavericks), the same app launches in times between 1:45 and 2:10.

On my client's office manager's MacBook Pro using Mavericks (OSX 10.9.x), the same app launches in times between :45 and 1:10.

On a customer's machine using Yosemite (OSX 10.10.x), the same app launches in 3 minutes!

I'm hoping somebody can give me a clue as to why this happens and how I might alleviate the long launch times on some machines.  This is commercial software sold to the public and it's really unacceptable that some customers have to put up with 3-minute launch times.

Matt Bloomfield

• 1. Re: Long launch times for compiled FMP12 app under OSX 10.9 and 10.10
          mattb

For anyone that's interested in the answer to this problem, after 10 months of thrashing around, it turns out to be calling an Applescript to get the computer's serial #.  In all versions of OSX through 10.8.x, it worked fairly quickly.  Starting with OSX 10.9.x (Mavericks) and continuing with OSX 10.10.x (Yosemite), the same Applescript ran reallly slooowly.  Fortunately I discovered the get(persistentID) function which was introduced in FMP12, which serves the same function (generating a unique hardware-based number to be used for copy protection).  Now Mavericks and Yosemite launches take less than 10 seconds.