2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2010 9:08 AM by AAgraphics

long load time for database on PC

AAgraphics

Title

long load time for database on PC

FMP10 and FMP11 on PC and Mac

Our FileMaker database is hosted on a remote server and there are usually 12 users logged into the database at anytime using FMP10 and FMP11.  The total file size of the database is about 7 MBs.  The database takes just a little bit of time to load on the Macintosh computers.  However, the database takes FOREVER to load on the PCs.  The PCs are running FMP10 and FMP11.  The database takes a long time to load for both versions on the PC.  There are a total of 296 records in the main table and 144 of those records are active.  We need to keep the other 152 records, but we eliminate them from our viewing by constraining the found set.  Any ideas or tips on improving the load time of the database?  Is there some script I can write to improve the load time?  Are there preferences I can adjust on the PC?  It appears to just perform better and load faster on the Macintosh computers.  Hopefully all of that makes sense.  Thank you!

• 1. Re: long load time for database on PC
          philmodjunk

I don't really know why your Macs are loading quicker than the PC's, but there are a few things you can check--if only to rule them out as possible factors.

Check for any scripts that perform when the file is opened. If you have such a script, remove the reference to it in File Options as a test and see if the windows machines load faster. If they do, look the script over for any possible causes.

Open manage | External Data sources and examine them for issues.

External file references that use asterisks and external file references that contain invalid IP addresses can really slow down the rate at which a file opens.

• 2. Re: long load time for database on PC
            AAgraphics

There are no external data sources that are used.

I will try your script tip.

The biggest difference between the Macintosh computers and PCs is in the one layout that lists all of the projects.  The list is 144 records long, as I mentioned above.  On the Macintosh computers you can scroll up and down the list and the screen and there is no delay or refresh.  However, if you perform this same exact thing on a PC, you have to wait for the list to refresh if you scroll up or down.  Very odd and frustrating for PC users.