Looking for a 10,000 foot view of FileMaker Pro, Advanced or Server Std/Advanced
I am looking for another tool for RAD.
Called tech support for some pre-sales questions but did not get satisfactory answers. They suggested I post a question here...so here goes.
For simplicity sake, I will use a phone book as my program
1 - Windows Server Machine
10 - Windows Client Machines
1 - Phonebook Database
1) If I were to create a database (MySQL, MSSQL, FileMaker Database, etc...) on the server and then create a program to allow add, update and delete of phone book information, how do I distribute the "thin" client program portion to each of the Windows Client Machines?
2) Does FileMaker create an executable and then install on the clients allowing it to connect to the server?
3) Do I have to purchase FileMaker for each client?
4) Is there a FileMaker runtime I have to install on each client?
5) Can the clients connect to the data on the server at all?
I was surprised that Customer service could not answer my questions. Nor could they transfer me to anyone who could.
I could spend hours/days reading info on the website but if Customer Service could not answer my questions, not sure the web can.
Hope this made some sense.
Also have some questions about web applications but will hold these for now. Anyone with any suggestions on who, at FileMaker, I can call for additional information please let me know.