3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 11:37 AM by mongenix

Looking for a 10,000 foot view of FileMaker Pro, Advanced or Server Std/Advanced

mongenix

Title

Looking for a 10,000 foot view of FileMaker Pro, Advanced or Server Std/Advanced

I am looking for another tool for RAD. 

Called tech support for some pre-sales questions but did not get satisfactory answers. They suggested I post a question here...so here goes.

For simplicity sake, I will use a phone book as my program 

Setup Info:

1 - Windows Server Machine

10 - Windows Client Machines

1 - Phonebook Database

1) If I were to create a database (MySQL, MSSQL, FileMaker Database, etc...) on the server and then create a program to allow add, update and delete of phone book information, how do I distribute the "thin" client program portion to each of the Windows Client Machines?

2) Does FileMaker create an executable and then install on the clients allowing it to connect to the server?

3) Do I have to purchase FileMaker for each client?

4) Is there a FileMaker runtime I have to install on each client?

5) Can the clients connect to the data on the server at all?

I was surprised that Customer service could not answer my questions. Nor could they transfer me to anyone who could.

I could spend hours/days reading info on the website but if Customer Service could not answer my questions, not sure the web can.

Hope this made some sense.

Thanks

Also have some questions about web applications but will hold these for now. Anyone with any suggestions on who, at FileMaker, I can call for additional information please let me know.

• 1. Re: Looking for a 10,000 foot view of FileMaker Pro, Advanced or Server Std/Advanced
          philmodjunk

Filemaker doesn't have a "thin client". You'll need to either install filemaker on each client machine or publish the database to the web so that your users can access the database via their browsers. (Web publishing takes extra setup, may require Filemaker Server Advanced, and can put limitations on your interface design.)

With Filemaker installed on each client, you'll be able to have them all access the phonebook database hosted by filemaker server.

• 2. Re: Looking for a 10,000 foot view of FileMaker Pro, Advanced or Server Std/Advanced
            KeithLarochelle_1

I'm surprised that they couldn't answer this as well.

1) FM Server gets installed on your server.

2) The Phonebook database you create is stored on the server and is shared out to the network via FM Server.

3) FileMaker Pro (client) is purchased and installed for each workstation.

4) FileMaker Pro (client) opens a network connection to FM Server and FM Server shows all the databases it is currently sharing out to the network.

5) FileMaker Pro (client) selects the database to open and it displays and interacts with the data.

It is actually a pretty easy model to get up and running.

1) If I were to create a database (MySQL, MSSQL, FileMaker Database, etc...) on the server and then create a program to allow add, update and delete of phone book information, how do I distribute the "thin" client program portion to each of the Windows Client Machines?

No - FMP databases have the datbase layer and the application layer all in on file that is put on the server and shared out to the FMP client.  FMP does not have a thin client type environment.

2) Does FileMaker create an executable and then install on the clients allowing it to connect to the server?

No - in this example, the FMP application is the executable that allows your workstation to open a particular database. 

3) Do I have to purchase FileMaker for each client?

Yes - shared data has to be accessed via FMP (client)

4) Is there a FileMaker runtime I have to install on each client?

Not in this example 

5) Can the clients connect to the data on the server at all?

Yes - throught the published connection that FM Server provides.

Hope this helps! 

• 3. Re: Looking for a 10,000 foot view of FileMaker Pro, Advanced or Server Std/Advanced
              mongenix

Thanks for the quick response!

That gives me exactly what I needed to determine if it is worth my time to take a 1000 foot look at the product.

I have a lot more questions but I will do some research on-line first. You know...RTFM a little bit.

Thanks again!