6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2009 10:00 AM by philmodjunk

Looking for something like DDR that sees script triggers

ralvy

Title

Looking for something like DDR that sees script triggers

I'd love to know if anyone knows of a utility that will allow me to see if a script is used somewhere in my solution as a script trigger. The current incarnation of DDR doesn't do that at all, which makes me very nervous about deleting a seemingly unused script. I'm trying to get into the habit of referencing the fact that a particular script is used as a script trigger (in a script comment line), but I didn't do that with a lot of older scripts.

• 1. Re: Looking for something like DDR that sees script triggers
          ralvy

Okay. I just found BaseElements over here:

www.goya.com.au/baseelements

Very nice piece of work, but very pricey. It's a FMP database that can import a DDR in XML format. Does everything I want. Anyone know of anything else I might look at?

• 2. Re: Looking for something like DDR that sees script triggers
            ralvy

Okay. I just found BaseElements over here:

http://www.goya.com.au/baseelements

Very nice piece of work, but very pricey. It's a FMP database that can import a DDR in XML format. Does everything I want. Anyone know of anything else I might look at?

• 3. Re: Looking for something like DDR that sees script triggers
              comment_1
                 There are other DDR tools, e.g.:

CrossCheck
              http://www.fm-crosscheck.com

Inspector
              http://www.beezwax.net/inspector/

Keep in mind that a DDR inspection tool is just that: it imports the DDR XML file and presents it in a convenient way. It adds no information of its own. You can view the same information (more or less) by exporting the DDR in HTML format and opening it in a browser.

Similarly, you could open the XML DDR file in a text editor and find all instances of "trigger". You could also create your own tool by writing a XSLT stylesheet and using it to import the selected elements from the DDR XML.

• 4. Re: Looking for something like DDR that sees script triggers
                philmodjunk

I've developed that habit of adding a comment field at the top of all my Script Trigger Scripts:

They look something like this:

# OnObjectExit [Table::Fieldname] on layouts Layout 1, layout 2....

I also include the event and object name info in the script name whenever possible.

It doesn't help for any script trigger scripts that I created before I started using this trick, but it helps a lot when I'm examining a DDR to see how the script is being referenced.

Warning note: there is a known bug in the DDR's FMP 10: "Scripts that use this script" does not always list all scripts.

• 5. Re: Looking for something like DDR that sees script triggers
                  ralvy

PhilModJunk wrote:

Warning note: there is a known bug in the DDR's FMP 10: "Scripts that use this script" does not always list all scripts.

Does this bug include sometimes failing to list any "scripts that use this script" when there is at least one that does? That most important to me, when I'm considering deleting a script I think is unused.

• 6. Re: Looking for something like DDR that sees script triggers
                    philmodjunk

It's hit or miss. I have encountered cases where no referencing scripts were listed and a referencing script did exist. I haven't checked for this since the v3 update, but haven't seen any reports that v3 fixed it.

As a result, I NEVER trust the current DDR to be correct in this area. Instead, I search the entire report for references to a script if I need to know if any other scripts call it. Tedious, but I don't want to trash a script by mistake thinking it is no longer in use either.