1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 7, 2014 8:08 AM by philmodjunk

Looking for suggestions/link/paper on how to maintain an off-site customer DB  (FM 13)

JimBessette

Title

Looking for suggestions/link/paper on how to maintain an off-site customer DB  (FM 13)

Thanks to PhilModJunk and others, my fist DB is in my customer's hands and they are enjoying it.  Luckily, the business owner is DB savy, and doesn't have any problem making changes to it.  However, I'm still doing maintenance.  Up to this point, he usually sends me an entire copy of the database (it's only about 60M) ,  I modify what needs to be fixed/enhanced, and then I send him a clone of the database, and tell him what needs to be changed on his version.   Since it seems impossible to simply copy a script, a table, etc. and have him replace it on his, this has been at time frustrating and error prone.

So, my question is, how does one maintain a database that is in use and processing data, that is off-site?  There's got to be a better way than what I'm doing now, so pointers to papers, website, book (I do have FM11 Missing manual, but didn't find anything in there), etc. would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Jim

• 1. Re: Looking for suggestions/link/paper on how to maintain an off-site customer DB  (FM 13)
          philmodjunk

Since it seems impossible to simply copy a script, a table, etc. and have him replace it on his, this has been at time frustrating and error prone.

With FileMaker Advanced, these are not impossible things to do in FileMaker. You can copy and paste script steps and field definitions from one file to another using FileMaker Advanced.

But I think that converting your solution to fit the Convert to Seperation Model will help with the maintenance issues. This sets up a solution of two files, one with all the scripts, layouts, value lists, etc and one with the all the data tables and data level relationships. Any time that you modify the interface file, your client can simply swap out the old copy for the new.

But for the less frequently needed updates of data tables and data level relationship changes, you can send the client a clone copy (no records in the file) with a script that uses Import Records and Set Next Serial value to copy over all records from all tables and to update the serial number settings on any auto-entered serial numbers.