1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2013 4:37 PM by philmodjunk

Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.

MikeProcopio

Title

Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.

I want to create a database where I can track workouts, players who participate, coaches who ran the workout, and drills used.

I want to have a table for the workout and be able to enter drills used. I was thinking entering a portal, but the amount of drills used in each workout will change so I'd like to see if I can have something where I can click new drill and it pulates where it could be a list of 5,10, 15, etc in an insividual workout.

I created this before where I had a player table, workout table, coach table, player participation table, and coach participation table. I dont know how to impliment the drill portion.

• 1. Re: Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.
          philmodjunk

Wouldn't this work?

Workouts-----<WorkOut_Drill>-----Drills

Workouts::__pkWorkOutID = WorkOut_Drill::_fkWorkOutID
               Drills::__pkDrillID = WorkOut_Drill::_fkDrillID

You can place a portal to WorkOut_Drill on the Workouts layout to list and select a Drills record for each given Workouts record. Fields from Drills can be included in the Portal to show additional info about each selected Drills record and the _fkDrillID field can be set up with a value list for selecting Drills records by their ID field. And a quantity field in the portal row defined in the WorkOut_Drill table can be used to record the number of times that drill was run.

• 2. Re: Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.
            MikeProcopio

Phil,

OK so a question on this database. I want to print out a record every week on what a Player Did so basically every player on our team what he did for the past week. Is there a way to have a layout list the layers name and underneath list every workout that they did for that week based on a specific range

For example

MICHAEL JORDAN

09/12/2013   Individual Workout        45 Mins    Good Attitude    96     Offense, Dribbling, Shooting

09/13/2013   Video                               45 Mins    Good Attitude    96     Offense, Dribbling, Shooting

09/14/2013   Group Workout              45 Mins    Good Attitude    96     Offense, Dribbling, Shooting

09/15/2013  Meeting                           45 Mins    Good Attitude    96     Offense, Dribbling, Shooting

MAGIC JOHNSON

09/12/2013   Individual Workout        45 Mins    Good Attitude    96     Offense, Dribbling, Shooting

09/13/2013   Video                               45 Mins    Good Attitude    96     Offense, Dribbling, Shooting

09/14/2013   Group Workout              45 Mins    Good Attitude    96     Offense, Dribbling, Shooting

09/15/2013  Meeting                           45 Mins    Good Attitude    96     Offense, Dribbling, Shooting

So Basically I want to have an activity table with fields like what the name of the activity , date, length, what was covered, etc. I would like to have a player's table, coaches table,  and activity table. I would then like to create a layout called report and then have a begin and end field where then all of my players would be listed with their activity for the week or specific time period.

For our on court workouts we want them to get rated in 5 categories each category is 20 points. Adding up to 100 points per workout to grade them. Now on my activity page I only rate them on workouts. I will have a field categorizing each activity. Individual Workout , Group Workout, VIdeo, Meeting, Strength Workout. I only will rate them for individual and group workouts.

My last two questions on this is this. I'd like to have calculations for when I have the report with the players, like adding up the minutes for each activity nd placing it on the same line as the player name. I'd like to average out the rating for the time period covered. Is there a way to calculate only based on the time range given. 

Second question is, is there a way to have a calculation that only averages out numbers based on the name of the activity. FOr example if I only wanted to average out the ranking of the activity named individual and group workout.

OK sorry gave you a lot there .

• 3. Re: Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.
              philmodjunk

Yes, that is a lot and something best divided up in to smaller problems to be solved one at a time.

This is basically a "class attendance" problem but instead of students attending classes and completing assignments, you have players attending WorkOuts and participating in Drills.

And it starts with a data model that will effectively support that approach.

Workouts----<Drills-----<PlayerParticipation>------Players

Workouts would hold the data in your first two columns: a date and a description of the workout or meeting.

Drills would be the individual activities that make up a work out and I think that's where your far right list: Offense, Dribbling, Shooting comes from--each would be a different record. The time allotted to each drill might be recorded here.

PlayerParticipation would be the table where you record each player's participation in a given drill. That's where you give your players a score and, if appropriate, record the amount of time a player spends in that drill. (Don't know if you need that or not from your previous post.)

Your reports would be summary reports based on PlayerParticipation where summary fields and calculations based on them can produce totals, percentages, averages, etc.

is there a way to have a calculation that only averages out numbers based on the name of the activity.

Yes and there is more than one way to do that depending on the exact value wanted and exactly how you want to present that value in a report.

• 4. Re: Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.
                MikeProcopio

OK I get what you are saying. I like having what drill we did with each player and tracking what drills for what players.

The listing of Offense, dribbling etc will be its own field, that isnt the drills, just overall what was covered. The most important thing here is to have all of the workouts logged on the player page. If that means I cant track what drills are used that is fine I can just have fields in the workout for example Drill 1, 2,3,4 ,5,6 etc and have drop downs.

In a perfect world I would like to track the player workouts as far as when they worked out the rating on each workout in general. I'm not going to record a score for each drill but overall workout. The time spent is the entire workout, and I wont be timing each drill. 

The most important things here are tracking player workouts, having a coach table and tracking what players they worked with and creating a player report that lists all of their activities. Tracking what drill was used in workouts for specific players is a cool feature but can be done away with if needed.

• 5. Re: Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.
                  MikeProcopio

Would it be tough to have a layout for activity of each player for a certain peril of time?? I'd like to have each player broken down for either a weekly, every two , monthly, etc.

• 6. Re: Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.
                    philmodjunk

If that means I cant track what drills are used that is fine I can just have fields in the workout for example Drill 1, 2,3,4 ,5,6 etc and have drop downs.

That would REALLY not be good idea.

We can use a portal to list records for each drill in which the player participates. I assumed that recording some kind of "score" (not time) for each drill was needed in order to compute a score for their participation in the total workout. If you don't need that level of precision here, then I don't see why you would need to list the drills on a layout for recording player participation.

Would it be tough to have a layout for activity of each player for a certain peril [period] of time?

That sounds pretty straight forward. You can perform a find specifying the player and the date range to get a list of all workouts in which they participated.

Modifying the initial concept to include coaching staff and to track player participation at the work out level instead of the drill level:

Coaches----<Workouts---<PlayerParticipation>------Players   (You can aslo  link Workouts to Drills to show what drills took place in a given workout.)

• 7. Re: Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.
                      MikeProcopio

Yeah I think having the portal in the workout participation to see what drills they used would be a great idea. The drills There are only a few drills out of the 60+ that we have where we keep time/score for.

Coaches----<Workouts---<PlayerParticipation>------Players Is the setup that I was using. I just have to link the drills to the workouts. Thanks Phil you are the man as usual 

• 8. Re: Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.
                        MikeProcopio

I had the layout to track activity and it was fine. I'd like to have a beginning date end date to have an easy search but havent been able to do that just yet.  I just do a search for after a certain date and then do another search for before a certain date to shrink the results down.

• 9. Re: Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.
                          SteveMartino

Simple search for date ranges.  Click Find (all fields show the little Eyeglass).  In the date field (must be formatted for date), type starting date...end date and click enter.

In other words, if you wanted to see all the matching records from 6/1/13 to 9/14/13 you would click the Find button in the toolbar.  In the Date field type:

6/1/13...9/14/13   and click enter

• 10. Re: Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.
                            MikeProcopio

Here it is Phil

• 11. Re: Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.
                              philmodjunk

Steve has a good answer for date range finds. You also PM'd me with a question about how to delete drills that you had added to a work out.

If you have a portal to Drill_Participation placed on your WorkOut layout, you should be able to add and delete records in the portal in order to assign or remove from assignment drills from your drill table. This should not delete any records from Drills unless, in the relationship linking Drill Participation to Drills, you have enabled the Delete option for Drill Participation. If you have please clear that check box.

• 12. Re: Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.
                                MikeProcopio

Actually figured it out a few days ago. I just keep forgetting to add fields to the participation tables. Everything seems to be working. Would like to be able to add assistants to the workout participation so I know who assisted n workouts to track the coach's activity. 

• 13. Re: Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.
                                  philmodjunk

You might treat assistants (in the database table) like a different type of coach. And you can link a work out table to a join table between coaches and work outs to link multiple coaches and assistants. Or you can link to the drills if you want to assign personnel to specific drills in the work out...

And if you'd rather put assistants in their own table, then add a table for assistants and link them as described above for the Coaches table.

• 14. Re: Looking to create a database to track workouts and drills used.
                                    MikeProcopio

With workouts all coaches head and assistant can be the main coach during the workout and serve time as the assistant in the workout. I put all coaches in one table. The main focus here is to track the activity of the players, but I would like to track the activity of the coaches and how many minutes are spent on the court with players. Is there a way to be able to link the coaches that not only run the workout, but also assist? If its going to be a huge production, I dont need it but if its something that is fairly simple then I'd like to add it. Hope you are feeling better my friend 

1 2 Previous Next