AnsweredAssumed Answered

Looking to Replicate some Access Query Functionality

Question asked by tglatt on Mar 10, 2010
Latest reply on Mar 17, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

Looking to Replicate some Access Query Functionality

I have an Access database containing three tables - a contacts table along with two tables containing current period and prior period financial performance for each contact. The tables are related via the primary key. I also have a query that calculates financial ratios using the current period and prior period financial data, and a query that uses the ratios query as a basis for calculating a proprietary performance score.

I am on a MacBook with OS 10.6.2, and have been using Access by running Parallels. I am a bit tired of the whole Parallels thing, and since I use Bento I thought I would look into Filemaker.

I've been able to set up comparable tables in Filemaker, set the relationships on the client id, and have even learned how to construct some calculations, however I cannot seem to figure out how to set up a table (or view or list, etc.) that automatically calculates the ratios I am looking for in a separate table. 

I know that it can be done, all I need to be pointed in the right direction.

In summary, here is what I am looking to accomplish:

I want to be able to open a table (similar to my query in Access) containing the contact name from the contacts table and the results of calculations based on prior period financial data and current period financial data for each contact.   

As an aside, I have figured out how to do these calculations if I add the calculation fields to the Contacts table - but I would rather have the contacts table only contain contact information. I want a stand-alone, dynamic ratio calculation table.

I am not looking for someone to do the work for me - just help me understand how to think about the process to use in Filemaker. I am a competent Access user but completely new to Filemaker terms and functions.

Thanks!

Outcomes