5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2009 9:27 AM by philmodjunk

Looking up a value from a non-related table for a tooltip script

miw

Title

Looking up a value from a non-related table for a tooltip script

I want to add text to a layout (say the letter "A") which will then lookup the letter "A" in an unrelated table and show in the tooltip a description for "A" from that unrelated table.  I tried lookup and get functions with no solution; in whatever function I use, I do not mind hardcoding the "A" to pull up the related description from that unrelated file.

• 1. Re: Looking up a value from a non-related table for a tooltip script
          philmodjunk
             Sounds to me like you need to make your unrelated table a related table. Why wouldn't you do it that way?
          • 2. Re: Looking up a value from a non-related table for a tooltip script
            miw
               I don't need to save a value in the table of the layout window; I am merely wanting to get a description for informational purposes from the unrelated table.
            • 3. Re: Looking up a value from a non-related table for a tooltip script
              philmodjunk

"I don't need to save a value in the table of the layout window; I am merely wanting to get a description for informational purposes from the unrelated table. "

And you can do that with a relationship. Your "letter A" can even be placed in global field. I may be making some wrong assumptions here due to lack of information. Perhaps you could describe what you are doing in greater detail?

• 4. Re: Looking up a value from a non-related table for a tooltip script
                miw
                   I have a three tables, one that describes "Stamps", another that describes "Country" and another that describes "Grades".  In the Stamps table, for each record I show various photos of different grades of the same stamp.  I do not need to save the grade to the record, just a bunch of different grade photos.  Each photo has a text field stating the name of the grade.  I would like to screentip that text field so that it will show the grade description from the unrelated "grade" file.
                • 5. Re: Looking up a value from a non-related table for a tooltip script
                  philmodjunk

If I understand correctly, each record has "several" container fields for displaying photos of different grades of stamp. What you want is for a tool tip to appear when the user hovers the mouse over one of these container fields. While the photos for in each record will be different, the tool tip text for a given container field will be the same correct?

I respectfully submit that you do indeed need a relationship linking your two tables. You can do this without "saving the grade to the record" though you could and it would work.

1. Define a global field for each grade in your stamps table.
                  2. Put your letter grades or whatever value uniquely identifies your information entries in the Grades table into these global fields.
                  3. Create separate relationships between each global field and the matching field in Grades

Now your tool tip expressions can reference the correct explanation and you will see the same tool tips for each record.

If I misunderstood, then the above instructions may need to be changed.