2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2011 2:23 PM by DaisyBlanton

Lookup a different entry of a table when on that table layout from a value list of all entries in...

DaisyBlanton

Title

Lookup a different entry of a table when on that table layout from a value list of all entries in the table

I am a new user to Filemaker but am familiar with relational databases. My database has several related tables. When on the name table layout, I am trying to add a lookup for a value table of all the records in the table and go to the selected one when it is clicked. I'm putting it in the header area but it tries to put the selected ID in the current record which it won't let it do. I've tried adding a fake related table with the ID and name as it only fields and putting the lookup ID there and going to the related table. I've tried making the pop up field a button with go to related table and go to Record/Request/page but that only goes to the first record in the table, not the one selected.

I'd greatly appreciate your suggestions. I'm trying to recreate a database I have on my old computer in Access and feel sure that Filemaker can do anything the Access can do.

Thanks, Daisy

• 1. Re: Lookup a different entry of a table when on that table layout from a value list of all entries in...
          philmodjunk

In Access, you can put a text box on a form and that box need not link to any field in one of your tables. You can enter/select data and then use that data to query your database.

In FileMaker, you can't put such a text box on your layout without linking it to a field. The ID field in your main table is wrong because you do not wish to change the ID, only select it. The way to do this in FileMaker is to add an extra field to your table. Most often, this would be a global field. Since this field is now separate from the ID field for your main table, selecting a value for this field no longer modifies the ID number of a record in your layout's table and a script can now use this data to either perform a find or, if a relationship using the global field is created, go to related records to pull up records with that ID in a related table.

• 2. Re: Lookup a different entry of a table when on that table layout from a value list of all entries in...
            DaisyBlanton

Thanks so much for the help. I have it working now! Actually I didn't have to use a script. I added the field and put the results of the lookup there. Then I added another occurance of the name table and related it to the new global field. Now the 'go to Related record' does what I want. I'm learning! thanks again. Daisy