2 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2012 10:18 AM by philtrumcorp

Lookup Not Working

philtrumcorp

Title

Lookup Not Working

working on fmpro11 on terminal. server is running fmpro server 11. all macs running lion.

i cannot get a lookup to work. 

Basically, in one table i have field 'product_ID" (where product id's originate) and in another table I have the same field 'product_ID' that is a lookup to the original table. 

the lookup in the second table returns nothing despite trying to change every conceievable lookup parameter. 

In other words, if i put original 'product_id' and the lookup 'product_id next to eachother in a layout, the looked up product iD in the layout is blank. 

Then i discovered that if i started typing what the lookup was supposed to produce, the remainder of the content of the lookup field popped upt. So if the data in the original 'product id' field was ABC123, the lookup product id field would be blank... unless i go into the layout and type "A" in the lookup field. Then if i tab out of the field the rest of the data "ABC123" pops up.

I have included screen shots of what i hope are all relevant factors... as far as the lookup, there are some other details not shown, but i will include here... the validation tab for the lookup product id field for "Validate date in this field" shows that the "Only during data entry" button is indicated and the "Allow user to override during data entry" is checked. the storage tab has the Indexing marked at "all"

1.jpg

• 1. Re: Lookup Not Working
          philmodjunk

Unfortunately, the uploaded image is too small with too low a resolution. I can't zoom in on it to a point where I can read the text in it.

I think I see this relationship:

Table1:ProductID = Table2::ProductID

If so, then a looked up value setting will not work for ProductID. You can set up other fields in one table to look up date from other fields in the second table when you enter or selelct a ProductID in the ProductID field, but you have to have matching values in both fields before this will work so it won't work for the matching field's value--only other fields in the table.

A typical solution to this issue is to use a a drop down list or pop up menu of ProductID's with a Product Description field included as the second field so that you can select the correct Product. Once you have selected a product, any lookups on other fields will correctly copy data.

• 2. Re: Lookup Not Working
            philtrumcorp

Thank you for the response.

I think you have it right that i am just doing this wrong. 

Apologies, but please understand, i have been combing through the instuctional materials, forums, knowledgebase and external filemaker support sites for 2 days now.

What i am trying to do is simple. I have one table already established with field 'product ID'. that table has hundreds of records related to product id. I want to create another table, also based on product ID, that has supplemental information for each product ID. 

How do i do this! i know it is such a simple thing. Apologies.