Thanks for posting your question, I am having a little trouble understanding what you are trying to do here. In your Multipurpose Table is there an Associated Code field for each Item? or have you got a field for each Item Name and trying to populate a single Code field.
If it is multiple Code fields have you looked at attaching the value list you are using to select your items to the Code field and modifying it to populte with the Item Code but display just the Item name?
To do this simply reassign the value list to you code field and then edit it by doing the following
- Under "Use values from firstly field" select your Item Code field
- Tick the option to "Also display values from second field"
- In the second list specify your Item Name field
- Then tick the option "Show values only from second field"
- Click OK
- Remove your lookups from the field definitions
Now your drop-down or Pop-up menu wll display your Item names but the field will be populated with the Item Code only. And if you use the Pop-up menu then the field will always display the Item Name.
I hope this helps, and please let me know if I have gone down the wrong track.