1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 24, 2008 2:41 AM by Orlando

Lookups

GHM

Title

Lookups

Hi

I have a file with a client table and a related multipurpose table (to facilitate the design of reports for printing and viewing) to store items such as material and its associated code, labour and its associated code etc. In this table are fields called "item" and "code" amongst others.

There are data entry portals linked to "table occurrences" of the multipurpose table, one for material, one for labour etc. In the material portal, the "item" field is filled from a drop down list from a table containing a list of material and its associated code. The "code" field is filled via a lookup into the same table.

Similarly, in the labour portal the "item" field is filled from a drop down list from a separate table containing a list of labour and its associated code.

My problem is that FM will not "allow" the code field to be filled via a lookup for this portal. I can change it so that it does but then the material portal lookup does not work. I can get the correct code to "display" in the portal via the value list options (I think) but this does not store/save/enter the code into the multipurpose table. This becomes an issue when wanting to do reports/print based on information in the multipurpose table...

Any suggestions?

Geoff 

• 1. Re: Lookups
          Orlando

Hi GHM

Thanks for posting your question, I am having a little trouble understanding what you are trying to do here. In your Multipurpose Table is there an Associated Code field for each Item? or have you got a field for each Item Name and trying to populate a single Code field.

If it is multiple Code fields have you looked at attaching the value list you are using to select your items to the Code field and modifying it to populte with the Item Code but display just the Item name?

To do this simply reassign the value list to you code field and then edit it by doing the following

• Under "Use values from firstly field" select your Item Code field 
          • Tick the option to "Also display values from second field" 
          • In the second list specify your Item Name field 
          • Then tick the option "Show values only from second field"
          • Click OK
          • Remove your lookups from the field definitions 

Now your drop-down or Pop-up menu wll display your Item names but the field will be populated with the Item Code only. And if you use the Pop-up menu then the field will always display the Item Name.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if I have gone down the wrong track.