AnsweredAssumed Answered

Looping with script to create records in a table based on looked up criteria in a source table?

Question asked by ChrisKnight on Jul 22, 2010
Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

Looping with script to create records in a table based on looked up criteria in a source table?

I'm having to rework part of database so while I'm at it I thought it would be nice to have some features that I've never figured out how to do in FileMaker.

A simplified version of what I would like is a script that will;  For every record in TableA that has an indexed Field1 = 123 AND Field2 ="xyz" AND Field3 > 0 create a record in TableB with indexed Field1=TableA::Field2 AND Field2 = to a running total of TableA::Field3 AND Field3= TableA::Field4 

TableA::Field1 is a key field from a lineitem table

TableA::Field2 is text that designates a function that is in another table that is used to define the function and the rate for it that is used as a values list for data entry and is not static, meaning new functions are added as needed on the fly during data entry.

TableA::Field3 is a numerical value, usually time

TableA::Field4 is an indexed field that relates back to record in a different table that this is a line item of

I had originally thought I should be able to do this with a summary field but never figured out how to make it work right so I thought maybe a script should be the way to go that I could trigger appropriately. 

Any Ideas? Pointers? Examples?  

Outcomes