2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 10:44 AM by jwustman

Lose extra pages and page numbers

jwustman

Title

Lose extra pages and page numbers

I have a questionnaire that is one long text box with many merge fields. The merge fields hold responses to yes-no questions. Because the answers can fluctuate greatly in number of words, the text box that I have set up stretches over ten pages. There is a footer with automatic page numbering at the end of the form.

Here's the issue. When the answers to the questions are short, the text box may take up only 5 or 6 of the ten pages of space allotted by the text field. When I print, the extra blank pages at the end of form still print and there are page numbers on the blank printed pages.

Since there will be several records that I want to print to pdf, this becomes a problem. I could delete the extra pages in the pdf file, but the page numbers would then have gaps.

Any ideas on how to print the correct amount of pages and the correct page numbers without having to specify this manually in the print dialogue box for each record?

Thanks, Jeff 

• 1. Re: Lose extra pages and page numbers
          philmodjunk

There are other ways to set up your layout, but you can select this entire layout object while in layout mode and use sliding options in the Inspector to set it to "slide up" and to "resize enclosing part".

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
          • 2. Re: Lose extra pages and page numbers
            jwustman

Wanted to follow up on this post. I solved my problem by moving objects that were off the printed layout to the right, up on the page. I think it would have been OK from the start had I click 'slide all objects up', not just objects directly above. I will test that.

Live and learn.