2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 1:41 PM by philmodjunk

Lost again... the simplest question...

cheathamtech

Title

Lost again... the simplest question...

Into my third full day of playing with FM 10 on my MacBook Pro.

I've created several tables...

Then I create a new layout and put fields form several of the tables on it.

When I go to Browse mode I can't enter most of the fields.  Some I can but most I can't.

I'd like to put DATE, set to automatically enter the date in the field on my new layout.

I go to Browse, click new record..  No Date.  And I can't even enter the field...

I know it's easy but I can't find the solution.

Thanks for your patience with a newbie.

• 1. Re: Lost again... the simplest question...
          david_lalonde@d-cogit.ca
             May I suggest you seek out training or a good instructional manual? Based on what I saw of your posts, I believe it will greatly speed up your development and save you money (in lost time) in the long run.
          • 2. Re: Lost again... the simplest question...
            philmodjunk

Getting extra help learing the system is a good idea.

In the meantime...

"Then I create a new layout and put fields from several of the tables on it."

Likely explains your trouble. Each layout refers to one table (technically a table Occurrence) directly and then, if you add fields from them, links to other tables via the relationships you create in Manage | Database | Relationships

Likely, your date field comes from a different table than your layout's table and the relationship is not allowing you to enter data. You may need to enter data in another field that is used in your relationship to link the two tables. You may need to enable "Allow creation of records via this relationship" for the table where you defined your date field.