2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2011 4:26 PM by LaRetta_1

Lost files

DaveVentimiglia

Title

Lost files

Hi LaRetta:
      Thank you!   Thank you!!  Thank you!!  You're helping, but I'm not quite there and we're affraid all our records are lost.    So, I typed the extension in, and it did, in fact, find my file.  However, there are 1200 records in the database (I know that because it says it under "record".  However, it is only showing one record (client).  I think this is because before I screwed up and renamed the file, I searched for a record.  It showed me that record.  then I renamed the file.  Now, I can't figure out how to access the other 1200 records.  Does that make sense?
      thanks,
      Dave
      LaRetta:
      Please keep helping me!!
      So, I have copied the forum question below -- and your response.  But I have more questions:  In regards to your suggestions:
      #1:  I can see the document in My Docs, but it does not have the .fp7 extension.  How do I get it there? 
      #2:  Can you help me understand how to import and repoint?
      #3:  When I go to file and manage on FilePro 7, the "manage" does not highlight.  I can see it there, but it won't let me click on it.
      I owe you.  Thanks a ton for your help.
      Dave
      Unable to retrieve data
      I  had 1200 clients stored in a file and renamed the file.  there was a  warning that I shouldn't rename it -- I did anyway.  Ooops.  Now the  file is gone from my database files.

I can only find it in My docs, but I can't open it.  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answers

posted 6:41 PM by LaRetta

Three things:

1) The file must have the .fp7 extension. 

2) If you are importing based upon stored script, FM will ask you to repoint to the renamed file. 

3) Go to File > Manage > External data sources and be sure the file is listed properly there. 

But since you received a warning that you should not rename the file, I suspect #1.

• 1. Re: Lost files
          LaRetta_1

"#1:  I can see the document in My Docs, but it does not have the .fp7 extension.  How do I get it there? "

You may just have your extensions hidden but I am pretty sure you have removed it. You need to rename the file and add a .fp7 after it.  The extension (characters after the period) are critical so the system know what program should be used with the file.  fp7 is FileMaker's extension and FileMaker can't identify its files unless it has it.
          Select the file (one click) and
          1) right-click and select Rename
          OR
          2) Select File and Rename
          OR
          3) Click file once then hesitate then click it again and you will be able to rename the file

... just as you accidently renamed it before when you removed the .fp7 extension).  Type the same file name then a dot then fp7.
          I see no need in answering items 2 and 3 since, since I'm pretty sure #1 is your issue.  If not, let us know and we can explain two and three.  Smile
          • 2. Re: Lost files
            LaRetta_1

Dave, I'm getting confused by your method of changing your existing post.  It would be helpful if you replied so we kept a thread of our correspondence back and forth.

Anyway, if you only show one record then it could be a few things so let's walk through it. 

"However, there are 1200 records in the database (I know that because it says it under "record".  However, it is only showing one record (client). "

1) Have you tried clicking the 'Show All' button? 

2) Is the layout Form, List or Table? 

3) Go to layout mode and select Layouts > Layout Setup and tell me what it says under 'Show Records from' pop-up.