3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 7:54 AM by tarragon

Lost password retrieval on Mac OS

Title

Lost password retrieval on Mac OS

I have just upgraded to FileMaker Pro 12 (running on Mac OSX) for a database that's been around for about 20 years. Through many versions of FileMaker and Mac OS, users have been able to access and edit the database from hosts across the LAN.

Now that I've upgraded, users who want to set up access to the database from machines other than the one where the database resides are asked for password authentication. Unfortunately, the password that was assigned at the time that the database was created has been lost. I've contacted all the former administrators of the database and there is no one who knows that password. 

FileMaker Support will not give me any information about retrieving the password other than informing me that there exist third-party applications for password cracking that I could use. For obvious reasons they can't recommend a particular one. A quick interenet search revealed that there are a number of such applications for Windows, but I'm not having much luck finding an OSX program for this.

Has anyone had any experience with this and can you recommend an application?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

• 1. Re: Lost password retrieval on Mac OS
          philmodjunk

Since FileMaker is cross platform compatible, you could put a copy of this file on a windows machine and use such a program to "crack" the password. Then return it to your Mac system for regular use.

• 2. Re: Lost password retrieval on Mac OS
            JimMac

You might simply try... 

User  =  Admin

Password = blank

OR....

Do a CMD I [Get info] and check the Sharings & Permission to make sure they have "Read & Write" permission.

OR...

Launch the Database [not on server] and hold the Option key down to see if you get the File options Dialog after launch

Jim...

• 3. Re: Lost password retrieval on Mac OS
              tarragon

I am in sort of a similar situation with FMP 12.  I can't open a password protected file.  I have the same database on an earlier protected version of FMP and the password works.  But it doesn't work on the FMP 12 database on a Mac.  I've done the Get Info and holding down the option key.  No luck. Just wondering if you were able to open your file, austinsync?