AnsweredAssumed Answered

Lost password retrieval on Mac OS

Question asked by austinsync on Oct 16, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 by tarragon

Title

Lost password retrieval on Mac OS

I have just upgraded to FileMaker Pro 12 (running on Mac OSX) for a database that's been around for about 20 years. Through many versions of FileMaker and Mac OS, users have been able to access and edit the database from hosts across the LAN.

Now that I've upgraded, users who want to set up access to the database from machines other than the one where the database resides are asked for password authentication. Unfortunately, the password that was assigned at the time that the database was created has been lost. I've contacted all the former administrators of the database and there is no one who knows that password. 

FileMaker Support will not give me any information about retrieving the password other than informing me that there exist third-party applications for password cracking that I could use. For obvious reasons they can't recommend a particular one. A quick interenet search revealed that there are a number of such applications for Windows, but I'm not having much luck finding an OSX program for this.

Has anyone had any experience with this and can you recommend an application?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Outcomes