3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2009 7:59 AM by TSGal

Mac and FileMaker Print settings

Mattosaur4

Title

Mac and FileMaker Print settings

Hi

I have 4-5 users with FileMaker Pro 9.0v3 on Mac OS 10.5.5 - 10.5.7.  I am finding a lot of our older databases converted from version 5 to 7 and now being used in 9 have some weird Print type settings saved within them.  I am trying to figure out how to clear them. 

The main file I am trying to fix keeps setting the media type to "Letterhead" rather than "Plain" or "None".  I can't find anywhere to change this in FileMaker and don't know why it keeps restoring that setting.  The print dialog is using the "Standard" Mac preset which from every other application shows the Media Type as None which is what I want. 

There are no scripts in these databases restoring print settings, I added a script trying to set it back to A4, Any Printer, but there is no media options in the FileMaker > Page Setup screen.

Any ideas on where it's pulling it's print settings from?  I tried creating a new database and by default printing from that is back on media type "None".  I also tried opening this database in FileMaker 10 and letterhead setting was there.  It also happened when I tried the database on another machine.  It appears to be within the file somewhere.

Matt

• 1. Re: Mac and FileMaker Print settings
          TSGal

Mattosaur4:

Thank you for your post.

I don't have a clear cut answer, so we'll have to try a few things.

First, I know you don't have any scripts that restore the print settings, but are you using scripts to print?  If so, then remove the "Print" step and recreate it with all the settings, and make sure the Media type is set to None (or Plain).

If you aren't using any scripts, then close the file, pull down the File menu and select Recover.  Select the file, and a "Recovered" file is created.  Open the "Recovered" file and see if has the same problem.

Another possibility would be to remove the Preference file, but that should have no impact on printing.  Also, that would affect all files; not just one, so I'm reluctant to even mention this.

If you are still having difficulty, let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Mac and FileMaker Print settings
            Mattosaur4

Thanks for the reply.

There are no real scripts in use.  Just one on load of the database that updates a Today field, auto generated at some point during the conversions.  I turned this off and it made no difference.  The Layouts themselves are basic and we don't use Scripts to print them.

The Recover option does seem to have worked though, after doing it the print setting is now on Plain/Recycled which should do the job.  Only problem is it was also set to 'current record' only but now it defauls to 'all' but we should be able to manage with that.

Is the Recover option likely to have broken anything within the database?

Matt

• 3. Re: Mac and FileMaker Print settings
              TSGal

Mattosaur4:

First of all, I'm glad the Recover option was able to help.  Obviously, there was damage to the file that affected printing control options.

The Recover command is not a cure-all solution.  Recover looks through the file and does its best to clean it up.  There may still be some damage to the file, so work with the file for awhile and see if anything else occurs unexpectedly.  If you have an earlier backup that didn't exhibit this problem, you may want to revert to that file.  If it has been a long time since a backup, you may want to consider rebuilding the file from scratch.  Otherwise, continue to monitor the file and make frequent backups until you are satisfied the recovered file works properly.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.