11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 3:09 PM by PierceButler

Mac file -> Windows runtime?

PierceButler

Title

Mac file -> Windows runtime?

Having created an FMPA 11 file on a Mac, am I now going to have to buy FMPA 11 for Windows and a Windows-on-Mac software package in order to produce a runtime version for a Windows-using friend?

• 1. Re: Mac file -> Windows runtime?
          JamesRoland

Howdy,

You can install both the Mac and Windows versions of FMPA from the same licence; at least I was able to.

For example, I created a runtime for Windows in the Windows version. I then opend the fp7 file in the Mac version and created the Mac runtime there; both work just fine on their respective platforms.

Cheers!
          Lyle

• 2. Re: Mac file -> Windows runtime?
            PierceButler

Lyle -

Thanks, but I feel like I'm missing something here. I've never before had reason to use FM on Windows - can I download FM onto a Windows system and use my Mac FM serial number to activate it (long enough to create the runtime from the original created on my Mac - I know the license doesn't allow more than one desktop & one laptop install)?

Thx again,

Pierce

• 3. Re: Mac file -> Windows runtime?
              JamesRoland

Pierce -

I did mine the opposite way; had it for Windows first, then when I got my MacBook Pro, I loaded up the Mac version, entered my licence info and have been using both ever since.

Lyle

• 4. Re: Mac file -> Windows runtime?
                PierceButler

Lyle -

Fascinating.

I'll give that a try: this may not be half as hairy as I've expected.

It occurs to me that in this scenario I don't even have to bother with generating a runtime version (except that the user may want to tweak something and get in over her head - nope, gotta go the RT route...).

May nightingales sing outside your window, and your camels all bear twins!

Pierce

• 5. Re: Mac file -> Windows runtime?
                  JamesRoland

Pierce -

The way I understand the licencing, you will have to generate a RT for the Windows solution as the person who you are building it for is not a licenced user; you are. That is why you can install it on two of YOUR computers :)

Cheers!

Lyle

• 6. Re: Mac file -> Windows runtime?
                    philmodjunk

If you are distributing solutions to both platforms, you really need both platforms anyway for testing purposes. While FileMaker behaves in very similar fashion on both systems, it does not do so identically. Some features are platform specific or differ in the results slightly. Text on your layouts requires more "room" on windows than on mac. So opening and testing the same file on both systems is a very necessary step before releasing your files to the public.

• 7. Re: Mac file -> Windows runtime?
                      PierceButler

Phil -

I'm "distributing" to one person, who is a managerial part of an ongoing small-scale local project, so extensive beta testing doesn't seem necessary.

Once she's downloaded a trial version of FMP, I'll go over to her house, activate her copy, and use it to make a runtime of my file.

If that works satisfactorily, we delete FMP from her system; if not, I tweak it and repeat the RT process until it does work, then we delete.

Since I'm not using FMP except on my laptop, from what Lyle implies we may be able to finish the project before a horde of lawyers descends upon us and fights their way past her dogs.

As my original question implies, I haven't previously had reason to adventure with FileMaker beyond the Mac sandbox. Do you (or others) have any recommended reading I should look into first?

• 8. Re: Mac file -> Windows runtime?
                        philmodjunk

You can't download a trial version of FileMaker advanced. You can install your copy of advanced on her copy, generate the run time and then uninstall.

• 9. Re: Mac file -> Windows runtime?
                          PierceButler

... install your copy of advanced on her copy ...

Now I'm feeling stupid again. Please explicate what that means and how it's done!

Thx in adv.

• 10. Re: Mac file -> Windows runtime?
                            philmodjunk

You have FileMaker Advanced. She doesn't. The trial is for FileMaker Pro and it can't generate a run time, like FileMaker advanced can.

You should have the installer files with you on your computer or on a DVD disk if you had one mailed to you. If you don't, contact customer service, show proof that you bought the product and request a new download link so that you can download a new copy. You need to keep this installer so that you can install this product again should you need to in the future. (Say your computer dies and you have to replace it...)

Take this installer to your client on a CD, DVD, or flash drive so that you can use it with her computer to install FileMaker Advanced on her mac in order to generate the run time. When done, delete the folders created by this install and you are done.

• 11. Re: Mac file -> Windows runtime?
                              PierceButler

Phil -

My last-received (or stored, anyway) physical install disk was for FMPA9; I haven't saved the upgrade downloads I purchased, so have contacted FM Customer Service to see about getting a disk rather than rassle with downloading Windows updaters.

[Insert kvetches about FM & all other software corporations here.]

Thanks again for your advice!