4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2012 8:18 AM by RupertPfaff

Mac keyboard short cut for up/down field navigation

brett_

Title

Mac keyboard short cut for up/down field navigation

On Macs and in browse mode, is there a keyboard shortcut for moving out of the current field and into the one above or below?  Tab will move you horizontally to the next field in the same row.  But I'm wanting to move to the row above or below.

• 1. Re: Mac keyboard short cut for up/down field navigation

brett _:

Thanks for posting!

Since you said you want to move between rows, I'm assuming you're talking about a portal or table view. Is this correct? If this is table view, you can use the Control key + Arrow key to navigate between rows. So to go up a row, you would hold down Control and press the up arrow key.

If you're talking about navigating through a portal, one solution may be to include an OnLayoutKeystroke script trigger on the layout. Specifically, this would call a script that checks what keystroke was entered and runs the Go to Portal Row script step when a specified key is pressed. I've included instructions below on how to implement something like this.

1) Create a new script through the Scripts -> Manage Scripts menu.

2) Here, you'll need to decide which keys you want to use as your shortcut and figure out the unicode value for that key. You can find some common unicode values here: http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/func_ref3.33.46.html. In this example, I've specified that when the down arrow key is pressed, we should be placed in the next portal row, the up arrow key will place us in the previous portal row and the left and right arrow keys will place us in the previous and next fields based on the tab order.

Note: You do not have to include the lines beginning with //. Those are for our reference.

//Down arrow key
          If[Code(Get(TriggerKeystroke)) = 31] 
          Go to Portal Row [Next]
          End If

//Up arrow key
          If[Code(Get(TriggerKeystroke)) = 29]
          Go to Portal Row [Previous]
          End If
          //Left arrow key
          If[Code(Get(TriggerKeystroke)) = 28]
          Go to Previous Field
          End If
          //Right arrow key
          If[Code(Get(TriggerKeystroke)) = 30]
          Go to Next Field
          End If

3) Once your script is complete, save it and exit the Manage Scripts window.

4) Enter Layout mode through View -> Layout Mode

5) Enter the layout script trigger area through Layouts -> Layout Setup -> Script Triggers

6) Click the checkbox labeled OnLayoutKeystroke and, when prompted, select the script we just created.

7) Test it out!

Please let me know if you'd like any clarification on the above.

TSBear
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Mac keyboard short cut for up/down field navigation
            brett_

>>  Control key + Arrow key 

Perfect.  Thank you.

• 3. Re: Mac keyboard short cut for up/down field navigation
              misterg65

If you use the "Spaces" feature in OSX ctrl-arrow is the default for switching between spaces. However, in System Preferences there is a keyboard preference pane that allows you to set "Application Shortcuts". I used this to set my previous/next record to alt-arrows

• 4. Re: Mac keyboard short cut for up/down field navigation
                RupertPfaff

Great stuff - exactly what I was looking for.  Worth noting that with the portal navigation script, you need to uncheck the 'select entire contents' box for the Go to next/previous portal row steps, otherwise it will not work quite as desired.  Works fine on Windows XP too by the way...