Thanks for posting!
Since you said you want to move between rows, I'm assuming you're talking about a portal or table view. Is this correct? If this is table view, you can use the Control key + Arrow key to navigate between rows. So to go up a row, you would hold down Control and press the up arrow key.
If you're talking about navigating through a portal, one solution may be to include an OnLayoutKeystroke script trigger on the layout. Specifically, this would call a script that checks what keystroke was entered and runs the Go to Portal Row script step when a specified key is pressed. I've included instructions below on how to implement something like this.
1) Create a new script through the Scripts -> Manage Scripts menu.
2) Here, you'll need to decide which keys you want to use as your shortcut and figure out the unicode value for that key. You can find some common unicode values here: http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/func_ref3.33.46.html. In this example, I've specified that when the down arrow key is pressed, we should be placed in the next portal row, the up arrow key will place us in the previous portal row and the left and right arrow keys will place us in the previous and next fields based on the tab order.
Note: You do not have to include the lines beginning with //. Those are for our reference.
//Down arrow key
If[Code(Get(TriggerKeystroke)) = 31]
Go to Portal Row [Next]
//Up arrow key
If[Code(Get(TriggerKeystroke)) = 29]
Go to Portal Row [Previous]
//Left arrow key
If[Code(Get(TriggerKeystroke)) = 28]
Go to Previous Field
//Right arrow key
If[Code(Get(TriggerKeystroke)) = 30]
Go to Next Field
3) Once your script is complete, save it and exit the Manage Scripts window.
4) Enter Layout mode through View -> Layout Mode
5) Enter the layout script trigger area through Layouts -> Layout Setup -> Script Triggers
6) Click the checkbox labeled OnLayoutKeystroke and, when prompted, select the script we just created.
7) Test it out!
Please let me know if you'd like any clarification on the above.
>> Control key + Arrow key
Perfect. Thank you.
If you use the "Spaces" feature in OSX ctrl-arrow is the default for switching between spaces. However, in System Preferences there is a keyboard preference pane that allows you to set "Application Shortcuts". I used this to set my previous/next record to alt-arrows
Great stuff - exactly what I was looking for. Worth noting that with the portal navigation script, you need to uncheck the 'select entire contents' box for the Go to next/previous portal row steps, otherwise it will not work quite as desired. Works fine on Windows XP too by the way...