12 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2011 3:25 PM by GaryDeal

Mac OS - Runtime Problem

craigh

Title

Mac OS - Runtime Problem

Hi,
      I have never tried to create a runtime so please accept my apologies if this is a daft question. I have created my first run time (using FM11). It has created a .EXE file which I have run successfully in Windows. It has also created a .APP file which I thought would run okay on my MAC OS (Leopard). However, when I try to execute the .APP file I am getting the error " You can't open the application Invoices.APP because the classic environment is no longer supported". It would appear that I have created a MAC executable but for an old version of the MAC OS.
      Please can some kind person put me out of my misery and tell me what I am doing wrong. 
      Thanks, Craig 

• 1. Re: Mac OS - Runtime Problem
          Jade

Hi Craig,

You actually have to create the Mac version of your runtime on a Mac (at least this is the case for FMP Advanced 9). Your FMP Advanced installation disk should also have a Mac install.  After you have installed FMP Advanced on your Mac and copied over your Invoices.fp7 file(s) to the Mac, the rest of the procedure to bind the runtime is pretty much the same. 

• 2. Re: Mac OS - Runtime Problem
            craigh

Hi Jade,

Thanks for the reply. However, I did generate the runtimes for both Windows from my MAC. 

Regards, Craig

• 3. Re: Mac OS - Runtime Problem
              craigh

Hi Jade,

Sorry, I must be tired ... I meant to say that Filemaker is installed on a MAC - I generated both executables from the MAC - the Windows runtime works - the MAC runtime is the one that gives me an error. I f anything I expected a problem with the Windows runtime not the MAC one ! Odd.  

Cheers, Craig

• 4. Re: Mac OS - Runtime Problem
                philmodjunk

craigh wrote:

... I meant to say that Filemaker is installed on a MAC - I generated both executables from the MAC - the Windows runtime works - the MAC runtime is the one that gives me an error. I

That is odd and is flat out impossible as far as I know. The binding operation copies your computer's executable (application file) to the new project folder. That's why you have to bind your file(s) twice--once on each platform. Otherwise, the correct executable file is not present to be copied.

• 5. Re: Mac OS - Runtime Problem
                  craigh

Hi Phil,

Perhaps I am creating the runtime incorrectly ? Under FMP11 (installed on my MAC) I have done the following:

1. I created a new database from one of the starter solutions (Invoices) but didn't modify it and then closed the file (I called it Invoices.FP7)

2. I selected TOOLS - Developer Utilities

a. I added the new filemaker database file I had created (i.e Invoices.FP7) to the solution

b. From the runtime solutions options I have selected only 1 option - create Runtime solutions.

c. I have set the Extension field to .APP (thinking it would then create a MAC OS executable). This maybe where I am going wrong ?

3. After selecting Create Runtime I get a Project folder was created which contains both an Invoices.EXE file and an Invoices.App file (and a whole load of other files).

4. I double clicked the .APP file on my MAC and get the error I have referred to above.

5. I transferred the whole Project Folder to my Windows Laptop. Double clicked the .EXE file and it runs fine.

When you say I have to bind twice I am not sure what you mean?

Cheers, Craig

• 6. Re: Mac OS - Runtime Problem
                    philmodjunk

I wish I had a Mac OS system to play with here...

I don't see how you end up with an .EXE file in your folder. That would be a copy of the windows executable. Did you perhaps copy this project folder from a windows machine?

The system should generate a mac application by copying the Filemaker application file already installed on your system. Changing it's file extension has nothing to do with it. You can specify a custom file extension during the find process, this will put a file extension on your DATABASE file--not the executable and (on windows at least) set the executable (.exe file) to launch when a data file of this extension is double-clicked. I'm not sure what this does for OS X, but it isn't part of the bind process that copies the executable.

Try this.

Take a filemaker file and bind it, specifying a brand new, empty folder as the project folder where it will place the executable, the database file and varous utility files. Don't specify a different file extension from the default. Test this copy and examine the project folder to see what's there. I doubt you'll find a .exe file nor will it run on windows until you copy the database file over to a windows system and repeat the bind process.

• 7. Re: Mac OS - Runtime Problem
                      Jade

craigh wrote:

c. I have set the Extension field to .APP (thinking it would then create a MAC OS executable). This maybe where I am going wrong ?

When binding the runtime under Mac OS X, leave the extension set to USR   This is part of the default creator code for FileMaker documents on a Mac and is registered by Apple.

"In the Mac OS X, the three-character extension becomes the creator code for the runtime application. The creator code must be unique to ensure that the Mac OS X Finder can determine which application created each document. The creator code is stored in the solution files and in the runtime application.
                      Because creator codes are four characters, the Developer Utilities insert an uppercase "F" after the first character. For example, the default three-character extension "USR" becomes the "UFSR" creator code. Creator codes are case-sensitive.

Note   Creator codes should be registered with Apple Inc. to verify that the creator code you choose is unique. If the creator code is not unique, solution files might not open with the appropriate runtime application. You may use the USR three-character extension because FileMaker has registered the UFSR creator code with Apple Inc. Contact Apple Developer Support or visit their website at www.apple.com to register any other creator codes."

Also note that you should not see any .EXE after binding a runtime under Mac OS X.   Are you using BootCamp, VMWare, Parallels, etc with Windows on your Mac to create the runtime???

• 8. Re: Mac OS - Runtime Problem
                        craigh

Hi,

I think I've figured this out and it is interesting (to me anyway).

Before I upgraded to FM11 I had read about a runtime issue with Windows executables. I therefore waited before I upgraded until a couple of weeks ago when a patch was issued by FileMaker.

I then upgraded and installed FM11 on my MAC but immediately located and downloaded the patch which involved replacing the standard FM11 runtime library folder with the one from the patch. I didn't think this would be a problem because I assumed that the FM11 runtime programs would be able to create either a Mac or Windows runtime. However, I now think that what I have done is replace the MAC runtime folder with the Windows runtime folder.

So, I merrily tried out the runtime creation process and (obviously I guess) it created a .EXE executable (I guess because I had replaced the standard MAC runtime folder with the Windows one from the patch that I had downloaded). What is amazing to me is that the .EXE file that I have created in this manner works quite happily on my Windows XP laptop (provided I transfer the whole project folder).  Luckily, I backed up the standard (MAC) runtime folder so all that I need to do now (I think) is swap the 2 folders. I am very surprised that the .EXE file has worked because I have created it on a MAC machine ! It seems that I may be able to swap between the 2 runtime folders on my MAC and create wither a MAC or Windows executable.

Cheers, Craig

• 9. Re: Mac OS - Runtime Problem
                          Jade

That would be quite a time-saving finding if it works without a hitch.

• 10. Re: Mac OS - Runtime Problem
                            craigh

Hi Jade,

I'll let you know how I get on ! By the way, when I just transferred the .EXE file to my windows laptop it wouldn't run. However, when I transferred the whole project folder to the laptop it worked perfectly.

Is that normal ? i.e. do you always have to transfer the whole runtime project folder along with the executable file ?

Cheers, Craig

• 11. Re: Mac OS - Runtime Problem
                              Jade

Hi Craig,

Yes…I suppose so.  On the Mac side there are other .USR files created in the Project folder that contain the layouts, scripts, database, etc.  The .APP has the runtime version of the FMP code.

P.S.  In the FMP Advanced Help Menu there should be an item" Product Documentation>Development Guide" that covers most of this stuff.

• 12. Re: Mac OS - Runtime Problem
                                GaryDeal

Craig, if you happen to see this after so long, what is this patch you refer to? Is it a sanctioned (FMP) patch? And regardless, where can I get it? Or can I just dig into my installer and find the Windows runtime folder?

I could use the expanded capability...