13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2013 3:00 PM by philmodjunk

Mac OS 10.9 working with FMP 11

vet_guy

Title

Mac OS 10.9 working with FMP 11

Has any one upgraded to 10.9 Mavericks and been able to run FMP 11?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Mac OS 10.9 working with FMP 11
          AnswerFeedback_3

Basically, the application does launch and I can connect to databases. But FileMaker warns it is incompatible. I'm not sure what is incompatible. Hoping they will be more forthcoming soon. But until more information is provided, I am playing it conservatively. I do not plan to modify any dbs using 10.9 yet. 

• 2. Re: Mac OS 10.9 working with FMP 11
            StevenDaniel

I upgraded the Maverick on a test machine. Upgrade and clean install. I found FileMaker 11 gets "crashy" after you have printed about 5 - 10 times. It basically unloads from memory without warning.

I also found that if I left the program open in a DB for a period of time, the memory usage would drop right down and then the program spontaneously crashes. I had this happen a few times. Once after using it for a while and leaving it, twice after just opening a DB to try and replicate the problem. It did not consistently happen every time I left it open unused. I am using a 2008 iMac to test Mavericks.

I found that these issues are enough to stop me upgrading anyone in my company to Mavericks just yet. I cannot upgrade the FileMaker 11 due to legacy systems needing to access .fp7 databases. I hope they make a Mavericks compatible patch for FM11 and not just tell everyone to upgrade to FileMaker 12.

• 3. Re: Mac OS 10.9 working with FMP 11
              vet_guy

Well this certainly puts me between a rock and hard spot. I've got clients who have FM 11 DB's, don't want to upgrade to 12 and want to upgrade to Mavericks.sad

• 4. Re: Mac OS 10.9 working with FMP 11
                AnswerFeedback_3

I've heard the problem is with App Nap in OS X 10.9...the system putting apps to sleep when they are not the foreground app. I heard this breaks the FileMaker connection...this info is just coming from groupthink at the consultancy I work for. No work from FileMaker yet. Hope to hear something soon. There may be a workaround by disabling App Nap for any individual application that is impacted by the new OS feature: see <http://krypted.com/mac-os-x/disable-app-nap-in-mavericks/>. 

I've had clients that already updated. I asked them to use another machine until we hear from FileMaker why FileMaker Pro 11 is incompatible.

• 5. Re: Mac OS 10.9 working with FMP 11
                  AndrewCohn

I upgraded my workstation to Mavericks yesterday and have had no issues running Filemaker Pro Advanced 11 or opening any of our databases that are hosted on servers at our location. I have not had any crashes or any other errors so far. Our Filemaker Pro 11 Server is still running OS X 10.7.5 and chugging along as usual.

• 6. Re: Mac OS 10.9 working with FMP 11
                    AnswerFeedback_3

Do you stay connected to your server-hosted databases if FileMaker goes into the background and you work in other apps for a while?

• 7. Re: Mac OS 10.9 working with FMP 11
                      AndrewCohn

If you mean just minimized to the system tray or behind other program while working on other things then no, I have not had any random disconnection issues or anything like that. Generally the only time I ever get randomly disconnected unintentionally from our remote files is if the computer enters Sleep Mode when idle for long periods.

• 8. Re: Mac OS 10.9 working with FMP 11
                        davidanders

Upgrading to a three day old operating system is sorta foolish, unless possible instability in a mission critical application is acceptable.
                             At the very least, a system backup with SuperDuper or some such, in case of problems on a test machine.

The reports on macintouch have found some with no problems, and others with random errors.

• 9. Re: Mac OS 10.9 working with FMP 11
                          AnswerFeedback_3

Certainly IT pros should wait a good bit before updating workflow critical computers; if only our clients would listen to that advice. The 'free' OS update has people early adopting much more rapidly than previous releases and I'd hope FileMaker had prepped more for App Nap issues. 

• 10. Re: Mac OS 10.9 working with FMP 11
                            JamesD'angelo

My upgrade to Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks resulted in numerous performance and display problems.

However, as per the suggestion of a Forum member, I disabled the App Nap for FMP 11.4 and everything seems to be back to normal ... so far.

• 11. Re: Mac OS 10.9 working with FMP 11
                              vet_guy

James,

Is FMP 11 still working OK with Mavericks?

• 12. Re: Mac OS 10.9 working with FMP 11
                                JamesD'angelo

Hello, Hank:

My FMP11 was indeed working with the "AppNapp" deselected - but not totally perfectly..

Therefore, fearful of an unexpected crash and/or loss of my data, I felt it best to upgrade to FMP12.

Now that I have - guess what ? I've had problems with FMP12 as well in terms of upgrading the data files. Some data was missing in some databases and in other databases everything was screwed up!

Thankfully i had my back up files to go to and even had to relaunch FMP11 to "resurrect" the missing data pieces.

When importing FMP11 files into FMP12, a dialog box asks if you wish to save the "original" file as the "old" file. By all means, use this option - especially if you have no backups. Otherwise you're in big trouble.

-

Good luck!

-

JsD

• 13. Re: Mac OS 10.9 working with FMP 11
                                  philmodjunk

When importing FMP11 files into FMP12, a dialog box asks if you wish to save the "original" file as the "old" file. By all means, use this option - especially if you have no backups. Otherwise you're in big trouble.

The conversion process always saves the original file unmodified--producing a new copy of the file during conversion. This option merely asks you whether or not to rename the original files by appending the name "old" to them.