3 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2012 1:43 PM by davidanders

Mac Question - Use Filemaker's Applescript functionality to open a Finder window to a directory

DanielClark

Title

Mac Question - Use Filemaker's Applescript functionality to open a Finder window to a directory

Hi, I am trying to use Filemaker to run an Applescript (using the Perform Applescript command) that will open a Finder window to a directory that I want to get access to. The trick here is, is that this directory is going to be composed of multiple elements of a field on one of my Filemaker table layouts. Here's an example of what I want to do:

I have a table of records in Filemaker, each with a unique document number field that I assign to each record. The Document number is in the form of a phone number (XXX-YYY-ZZZZ). Each record in my database has associated files on my Mac that are organized according to their document number in a file on the root drive called "FILES" (so its path is "/FILES"). So if I am looking at a record with Document Number 123-456-7890, I want the Finder to open a new window and navigate to the folder "/FILES/123/456/" (where files 123-456-0000 through 123-456-9999 are stored) - and if possible - highlight that record in that directory. So how can I do this?

And if that method can't be done, can I use Filemaker to tell Applescript to just plug that whole field into a Spotlight search?

Thanks.