3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2010 10:55 PM by CharlieTuna

Mac Upgrade:  OSX 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard -- FMP 5.5 to Current Version

CharlieTuna

Title

Mac Upgrade:  OSX 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard -- FMP 5.5 to Current Version

I've been running FileMaker Pro 5.5 on a 10 year old PowerMac G4.  I've got several of my company's databases running in it.

Well, my old Mac is developing some issues that make replacing it all but certain.  As a result, I need a new Mac -- and the latest version of FileMaker Pro.

The question I have is will all the files in my old databases survive the OS and FMP upgrade?  I really don't want to dump a ton on money into having someone come in and fix all kinds of broken links, etc.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

• 1. Re: Mac Upgrade:  OSX 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard -- FMP 5.5 to Current Version
          dumiya

I am running 10.6.4 and Fm 11

I have recently updated my old FM data bases - I think they were FM 5 (fp3) and earlier - They were greyed out even for FM6. (They had to be opened from inside FM6.)   I had to open them and convert them using FM6 to fp5 then used FM 11 to bring up to date fp7.  

The problem most folk strike is that FM 11 requires a user name (account) and a Password.  In FM 6 and earlier the password was the account.  So I had to type in the Password for the requested account and then again as the password.  Alternatively if you can open them in FM5.5 add a password that is easy and use that  until you have them open in FM 11 then reset the required Security Account and Password.  

The files opened prefectly - some early dates ended up as '2095' instead of '1995' (because I entered only the last two numerals)

D

Edited ps: You may have to reset your look up references

D

• 2. Re: Mac Upgrade:  OSX 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard -- FMP 5.5 to Current Version
            davidanders

There is no answer for such a generic question, the only answer is to try the conversion.

Make sure you have a clean backup of the database.

IF you do not have a clean backup of the database.1.  Backup the database using Save as Smaller. 2.  Backup an empty database use Save As Clone (no records). 3.  Backup these backups to a safe location.

Copy the backups to the new computer and open with FMP 11. Note any errors.

• 3. Re: Mac Upgrade:  OSX 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard -- FMP 5.5 to Current Version
              CharlieTuna

Thanks for the help.  Definitely sounds doable.  Appreciate the help.