8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2009 5:30 PM by TheProfiler

Macro's

TheProfiler

Title

Macro's

Does FM Pro 5.5 Developer have any way to use MACRO's?  I looked at the help screen and even though there was a MACRO topic, they got carried away into LA LA LAND with my mind.   

The customer has a few sentences they would like to avoid retyping by importing known text into a TEXT FIELD.    If I remember, each time I create an export (transfer) button copying from one field to another, it has appeared with the first attempt, no problem.   However, with the second set of text, it erases the first by over wright.  

Any suggestions here.   Customer wants to save time, I want them to save time.  Now the solution in how to do this.

Thanks

J "ason"  

• 1. Re: Macro's
          TheProfiler

On more thing... 

This is a PARENT ONLY DATA BASE.....    No child data bases support the Parent.       Thought I should have thrown that in. 

• 2. Re: Macro's
            philmodjunk

The Profiler wrote:

The customer has a few sentences they would like to avoid retyping by importing known text into a TEXT FIELD.   

What do you mean by importing? a regular filemaker import records type of operation? copy and paste?

If I remember, each time I create an export (transfer) button copying from one field to another, it has appeared with the first attempt, no problem. However, with the second set of text, it erases the first by overwrite.

Please give a detailed example of what you are trying to do. I've still got 5.5 here while we transition to fmp 10 so I should be able to give you pretty good help once I can understand the issue. 

• 3. Re: Macro's
              Jade

Phil,

Does 5.5 support Auto-complete using previously entered values? 

• 4. Re: Macro's
                TheProfiler

Example....

Client has enough personal resume' data that they would like to make changes to from time to time.   If it was fixed text I would create in layout a hard copy.    However, for the customer to add/edit, I have used the GLOBAL FIELD.   The data the client has would take up at least 3  pages, 8-1/2 "(estimated).   Normally I would create three different screens, use a GLOBAL FIELD for each screen (page) and call it a day with a single script  for each page, then uniting them with yet another single script that would print all three.  

Customer would not go for thiis anyway, and since this client evidently has more than a single screen worth of information, I would like to create one GLOBAL FIELD that would do a automated page continuation when it ran out of room for page 1.  

Would I make a global field that would exceed 11.0", maybe go down to 33.0" or even further and allow the printer to go to page 2 and 3, etc until it hits the end of the global field?    I am not sure. 

Thanks for your assistance....

J "ason"

• 5. Re: Macro's
                  TheProfiler

Phil.... Sorry for that last response of mine.  I thought I was responding to another question about page continuation... My fault....

OK... example for a macro using only a Parent data base.

I have one text field that the client would like to add data (pre-written) data.   I can do a single entry by exporting or importing data from another field, but when the client wishes to have several different sentences mixed together in a single text field, I do not wish to have the first macro command of data erased and over written by another macro.     

So one single text field, and several macro (or) pre written sentences that by clients own choice can send over to this single text field and no date over written.    

Hope this makes sense...

And Sorry for the last un-related reply...

• 6. Re: Macro's
                    philmodjunk

You've got a nasty problem as there's no way that I know of to detect when you have reached the end of "page 1". You can't count characters, because all characters are not the same width. You can create a single massively tall field and set it to slide up, but page breaks in 5.5 can get messy--sometimes the textline will cut off in the middle if I remember correctly.

Separate globals for each page or several records with one page non-global text fields would be better. To bad you've got client resistance to that idea. :smileysad:

Response to Jade: If by "auto-complete" you mean a drop down value list with auto-complete, then no. We used to simulate that with a portal and a multi-value key and it got really complex.

• 7. Re: Macro's
                      philmodjunk

The Profiler wrote:

Phil.... Sorry for that last response of mine.  I thought I was responding to another question about page continuation... My fault....

No problem, I've posted an "unrelated" reply to your reply on multi-page global fields. :smileywink:

I have one text field that the client would like to add data (pre-written) data.   I can do a single entry by exporting or importing data from another field, but when the client wishes to have several different sentences mixed together in a single text field, I do not wish to have the first macro command of data erased and over written by another macro.     

So one single text field, and several macro (or) pre written sentences that by clients own choice can send over to this single text field and no date over written.    

I suggest setting up a portal. Each row in the portal can be a different block of text to append to the current text field. Define the portal text field as a button to perform the following script.

Set Field ["Large Text field", "Large text field & PortalRelationshipname::text field"]

That will append selected text to the end of your field to avoid overwriting any text.

If you don't already know this trick, before we could use 'X' in relationships, we'd set up a "match all records" relationship by defining a calculation field to return '1' and used it to match another '1' field in our relationships. In this case I'd make the number field in the "macro text" table a simple number field with the auto create related record option enabled. That way your users can add/modify their macro text easily.

(By the way, did you know you can edit a message after you post it? Pull down the menu just above the Kudos control and select edit message. I've wiped some egg off my face any number of times that way.)

• 8. Re: Macro's
                        TheProfiler

Hi Phil

GREAT ADVISE and INSTRUCTION....   I will do exactly as you have written.    THANK YOU MUCH.....

Learning this new way of doing things will help me greatly in the future.

Also, thanks for the EDIT advice...   Yep, will prevent eggs all over the face.  :))

J "ason"