3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2009 12:15 PM by LaRetta_1

Magnifying glass doesn't appear in Find Mode...

donjuancarlos_1

Title

Magnifying glass doesn't appear in Find Mode...

... on a layout with one field.  I am creating a menu page that will always be in Find mode.  The menu will have a bunch of buttons to take me to different pages.  It will also have a "Quick Find" field that allows a user to type in a job number and go directly to that job's page.  For some reason, though, I can't get a magnifying glass to appear in that field, unless I place another field on the layout (which I don't need).  Does anyone know a workaround?

• 1. Re: Magnifying glass doesn't appear in Find Mode...
          LaRetta_1

The usual culprit is that FileMaker requires that you have Layouts > Layout Setup > Show Field Frames CHECKED or it won't display this icon.  We spend years getting FM to stop the dotted lines and allow us to turn it off and then they give us a find icon which requires it be checked again.

However, the bug is deeper than that ... as you say, if only one field, you won't get the find icon at all.

• 2. Re: Magnifying glass doesn't appear in Find Mode...
            donjuancarlos_1

Alrighty then, I did a workaround so "Job #" appears in the box in magnifying-glass-grey. 

- I created a text box with the word Job# in it and put it behind the search field. 

- I gave the text box conditional formatting that says-- if database::jobNumber <>"" then make the text the same color as the background.

- I set the fill pattern of the search field to Transparent.

Now, as soon as a user enters the search field, the grey text disappears, just like the magnifying glass would, if it were there.

• 3. Re: Magnifying glass doesn't appear in Find Mode...
              LaRetta_1
                 And would you please also post this as a bug in the bug forum?  If we don't specifically post it as a bug, it'll get lost.  We want it documented here so we can track performance on when things get fixed. Thank you so much!!  :smileyhappy: