5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2010 11:29 AM by philmodjunk

Mail Merge

SusanMaly

Title

Mail Merge

The company that I work for sends out a quarterly newsletter. I am wondering if there is a way for me to create a templete in filemaker that all I have to do is choose that database and that layout then hit print and it will print the five hundred address on the front side of the paper.

Also, can i merge all the addresses that are saved into Excel and get it to pop up in the table format that it shows when you first start a new database? Will I have to enter all the information again into filemaker to get it all to look the same?

• 1. Re: Mail Merge
          philmodjunk

"The company that I work for sends out a quarterly newsletter. I am wondering if there is a way for me to create a templete in filemaker that all I have to do is choose that database and that layout then hit print and it will print the five hundred address on the front side of the paper."

I see no reason why you couldn't do this. You can also export the addresses into a Merge file for use with Microsoft Word which sometimes gives you better control over the appearance of your newsletter.

"Also, can i merge all the addresses that are saved into Excel and get it to pop up in the table format that it shows when you first start a new database? Will I have to enter all the information again into filemaker to get it all to look the same?"

You can import data such as your addresses from excel files into a filemaker database and I think that's what you would want to do here.

• 2. Re: Mail Merge
            SusanMaly

Thank you for all your help. mY company is trying to decide if this is something that we want to purchase. So, I am exploring all the options of what I would be using this for.

One more question! We have two more offices in other states. We would be able to upload the databases that we create and be able to share them with them. Would they be able to create their own databases and upload them so that we could have access to them?

• 3. Re: Mail Merge
              philmodjunk

Yes, though there is more than one way to do this. You can establish remote access from filemaker or you can publish a filemaker database to the web, takes more work and there are interface limitations, and access it from a web browser.

I suggest you download the 30 day free trial copy and see if you can get it to work for you. I can tell you, in general, what filemaker can do, but I can't tell what you can do with filemaker as that depends on your knowledge, skills and ability to invest time in learning how filemaker works.

• 4. Re: Mail Merge
                SusanMaly

I have downloaded the free trial. We are coming to the end of our free trial period. That is why I have all these questions because I have been able to figure most things out on my own but these are some questions that I do not know the answer to.

• 5. Re: Mail Merge
                  philmodjunk

Hmmm, if you find you need more time with the trial and have more than one computer, you might try downloading a new 30 day trial to the other computer...