Are you sending email with Eudora or FMP? Can you offer a sample of your file?
not sure what you are asking for. the attachment can be anything - typically a PDF.
the script line is:
Send Mail [Send via Email Client; No dialog; To: "email@example.com"; BCC: Volunteers::Email; Subject::Volunteers::email_subject; Message:¶& Volunteers::email_text; "$$path"]
the mail is being sent by Eudora.
i manually send from Eudora because it allows me to add personalized comments. it also keeps me from saying "oops" when i send something in error.
You understood just fine, that answered my question. =)
Going to try and replicate your issue and see what I find for you.
I was unable to replicate your error...any luck yet figuring out why it is doing that?
here's what i did.
i created a PDF file and put it in it's own folder C:\fm\fmattach\
i selected one name from my database and ran the following script:
- Print Setup [ Orientation: Portrait; Paper size: 8.5" x 11" ] [ Restore; No dialog ]
- Set Variable [ $$filename; Value:Volunteers::attachment ]
- Set Variable [ $$path; Value:"filewin:/C:/fm/fmattach/$$filename" ]
- Send Mail [ Send via E-mail Client; To: Volunteers::Email; Subject: Volunteers::email_subject; Message: "Hi " & Volunteers::FirstName & ¶ & ¶ & Volunteers::email_text; Attachment: “$$path”]
- Go to Layout [ “Vollies_page” (Volunteers) ]
i ran the script and it created an email message in eudora with an attachment called schedule.pdf.
before i actually send the message the attachment has been copied to my attachments folder.
after i send the message it is deleted by eudora.
but if i send a batch of emails and let them pile up in eudora waiting to send, there will be a separate copy of the attachment in the attachment folder, each with a unique name ( schedule1.pdf, schedule2.pdf...)
if i send without dialog it's no problem, but that's my safety net and my opportunity to personalize some of the emails.
so - why does filemaker have to put a copy in the attachment folder before sending in the first place? is there a way to tell filemaker to not make a copy? when i normally drag and drop an attachment into eudora it doesn't make a copy in the attachments folder.
thanks for trying.