5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2011 2:48 PM by groucho

Mail script makes copy of attachment

groucho

Title

Mail script makes copy of attachment

When i add an attachment to an email to a found set, FMP puts a copy of that attachment in the mail clients attachment folder (in this case Eudora). Because that file name already exists in that folder, the file name gets a sequential number appended to it. So the first recipient on the list gets a file named 'schedule.pdf'. The next recipient gets a file named 'schedule1.pdf', and so on.

Is there any way to prevent FMP from making a copy? The original attachment is in another pre-determined folder.

if i manually add an attachment to a group email in Eudora, it doesn't make a copy in the attachments folder.

FMPA 11
      Win7

• 1. Re: Mail script makes copy of attachment
          rjlevesque

Are you sending email with Eudora or FMP? Can you offer a sample of your file?

www.dropbox.com

• 2. Re: Mail script makes copy of attachment
            groucho

not sure what you are asking for. the attachment can be anything - typically a PDF.

the script line is:

Send Mail [Send via Email Client; No dialog; To: "blahblah@hotmail.com"; BCC: Volunteers::Email; Subject::Volunteers::email_subject; Message:¶& Volunteers::email_text; "$$path"]

the mail is being sent by Eudora.
            i manually send from Eudora because it allows me to add personalized comments. it also keeps me from saying "oops" when i send something in error.

• 3. Re: Mail script makes copy of attachment
              rjlevesque

You understood just fine, that answered my question.  =)

Going to try and replicate your issue and see what I find for you.

• 4. Re: Mail script makes copy of attachment
                rjlevesque

I was unable to replicate your error...any luck yet figuring out why it is doing that?

• 5. Re: Mail script makes copy of attachment
                  groucho

here's what i did.

i created a PDF file and put it in it's own folder C:\fm\fmattach\
                  i selected one name from my database and ran the following script:

• Print Setup [ Orientation: Portrait; Paper size: 8.5" x 11" ] [ Restore; No dialog ]
                  • Set Variable [ $$filename; Value:Volunteers::attachment ]
                  • Set Variable [ $$path; Value:"filewin:/C:/fm/fmattach/$$filename" ]
                  • Send Mail [ Send via E-mail Client; To: Volunteers::Email; Subject: Volunteers::email_subject; Message: "Hi " &  Volunteers::FirstName & ¶ & ¶ & Volunteers::email_text; Attachment: “$$path”]
                  • Go to Layout [ “Vollies_page” (Volunteers) ]

i ran the script and it created an email message in eudora with an attachment called schedule.pdf.

before i actually send the message the attachment has been copied to my attachments folder.
                  after i send the message it is deleted by eudora.
                  but if i send a batch of emails and let them pile up in eudora waiting to send, there will be a separate copy of the attachment in the attachment folder, each with a unique name ( schedule1.pdf, schedule2.pdf...)
                  if i send without dialog it's no problem, but that's my safety net and my opportunity to personalize some of the emails.

so - why does filemaker have to put a copy in the attachment folder before sending in the first place? is there a way to tell filemaker to not make a copy?  when i normally drag and drop an attachment into eudora it doesn't make a copy in the attachments folder.

thanks for trying.