1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2011 2:29 PM by philmodjunk

mailing labels print too far to the left.

LawnGuy

Title

mailing labels print too far to the left.

I've been trying to print mailing labels. It seems no matter what adjustments I make to layout, the labels are printed right up along the left edge of paper and not within the parameters set on avery 5160 labels form. Do you have any ideas? I'm sure it's a margins setting somewhere that I'm overlooking. Does font have anything to do with it?

• 1. Re: mailing labels print too far to the left.
          philmodjunk

In layout setup... click the Printing tab and check your margins settings. You can specify a margin that limits how far to the left objects on the FileMaker layout can be printed.

Without making any changes to the margin settings, however, you should be able to just move the objects on your labels layout to the right and they won't print as far to the left. That's another thing you can check. (If you used the wizard to create the layout, odds are that the fields are all <<merge fields>> that are part of a single text object. You can drag or resize this text object to position it further to the right if you want.)

• 2. Re: mailing labels print too far to the left.
            LawnGuy

I am still missing something here, everything I do has no effect on where the label prints. It's like it is ignoring page margins and established parameters of layout. something is lost between layout & printer. Any ideas?

• 3. Re: mailing labels print too far to the left.
              philmodjunk

Hard to say since I can't see the file for myself.

You might try using the New Layout wizard to create a new labels layout and see if the new layout shows the same problem.

• 4. Re: mailing labels print too far to the left.
                LawnGuy

I have not seen any tool labeled layout wizard. Are you referring to the table that comes up when I click new layout? Also, I've noticed that when I incorporate one of your pre designed templates that if I rename template and then try to work with fields it tries to find original template and can't which creates problems, is it possible I'm getting hung up on something like that? I've started from scratch on mailing label layout, so there shouldn't be any conflict with pre designed template.

• 5. Re: mailing labels print too far to the left.
                  LawnGuy

Now, on top of the fact the labels print too far to left, I've discovered that only one page is being printed instead of 20 pages that were a part of the found set?

• 6. Re: mailing labels print too far to the left.
                    philmodjunk

I have not seen any tool labeled layout wizard. Are you referring to the table that comes up when I click new layout?

Yes. It's not a table in database terminology. It's a series of dialog boxes that walk you step by step through the process. I don't use the wizard very often--except for multi-column mailing labels. (Make sure you select the printer you will use in print setup before you start to do this.

Also, I've noticed that when I incorporate one of your pre designed templates that if I rename template and then try to work with fields it tries to find original template and can't which creates problems, is it possible I'm getting hung up on something like that? I've started from scratch on mailing label layout, so there shouldn't be any conflict with pre designed template

Well they're not MY layouts. Wink I'm just a fellow FileMaker user. If you start with New Layout, this won't be an issue.

When you say you "rename the template" are you renaming the file or renaming a layout within the file? I haven't seen many issues caused by renaming either file or layout, though you do have to make sure that the layout refers to the correct table occurrence (box in Manage | Database | Relationships) in layout setup... (Show records from) and if you point it at a different table occurrence, all the fields have to also be pointed at a field in the new Table occurrence.

• 7. Re: mailing labels print too far to the left.
                      LawnGuy

Am in hurry, at this point, think best way forward is to export contacts to old palm desktop app (that was free) and print my labels. Considering that this app is not being updated any more I was hoping that filemaker would be able to handle everything that the old palm app. did,. At present, I can't say that yet. It kinda baffles me, that the simple ability to look up single contact, print out single mailing label as to send correspondence to a singe contact or group, whichever I choose, is not a fundamental function of your database software! 

• 8. Re: mailing labels print too far to the left.
                        LawnGuy

I started with pre designed template and renamed file. When I add additional fields, I think that somehow I end up with two layouts for same thing, I'm not sure. I have some experience with databases but now think I'm probably a novice. Frustration is getting the best of me. 

I like the functionality of some of features in pre designed templates and not sure how to incorporate into my database yet, I think this might be most of my problem.

• 9. Re: mailing labels print too far to the left.
                          philmodjunk

I don't see why that would create a problem for your labels layout if you created it starting from new layout.

• 10. Re: mailing labels print too far to the left.
                            LawnGuy

I don't know either, I'm pulling at straws. To explain where I know I have some kinda problem seemed like the best place to start. 

When I started database I used bps contact template, I added many additional fields for my business and discarded several that I didn't want. I didn't delete anything in database field table, (hate to find out later I needed that) I just deleted the fields on layout that I wasn't using. Then I saved file as and renamed it. Now when I open file with new name and click manage database I get several warnings that bps contacts, projects etc. cannot be found before it eventually opens database table for my database.

I'm guessing from your post, that you don't think one has anything to do with the other? if so, now I have two problems. 

• 11. Re: mailing labels print too far to the left.
                              philmodjunk

I don't have that package, so I can only make general suggestions based on what you describe. For the "file not found" message you get when you open the file, there are two things you can check:

Open File Options and see if there's a script set to run when the file opens. If so, there could be a step in that script that attempts to open specific files by name. Since you've renamed the files, those steps fail to find the file.

Open Manage | External Datasources....

There could be a reference, by filename, to a BPS file in this section that now fails due to your renaming a file.

If you fix the script and/or the external data source references, this error message shouldn't appear anymore.

And I think this has nothing to do with your Label layout problems.

Have you tried creating a new labels layout from scratch?

• 12. Re: mailing labels print too far to the left.
                                LawnGuy

No, I've used the avery 5160 as the wizard set it up, I then modified that same layout by changing margins and neither way altered printing. I then did a new layout with wizards labels layout, used different name than avery 5160, set my own  rows, columns & margins, tried to print & again no change in printing. I than tried your suggestions by moving fields away from field edge, I tried shrinking fields , again no change in printing. I have not tried building layout with out wizard and labels layout. Should that be my next move?

• 13. Re: mailing labels print too far to the left.
                                  philmodjunk

The wizard works pretty well for setting up labels. How are you printing your labels? Do you go to the labels layout and select Print from the File menu?

• 14. Re: mailing labels print too far to the left.
                                    LawnGuy

From form view on my layout in browse mode I go to drop down list for Layout and check mailing labels (this is the name I gave this layout instead of avery 5160), 1 Label positioned in the 1st position is visible, if I hit preview button 1 entire sheet of 30 labels appear (no way to see all 573 labels at this point) hit preview button again and it goes back to 1 label. From either 1 or 30 labels I go to file menu and hit print. In print if I hit current record and then hit preview it looks just as it should (Note; all the screens make it look like everything is aligned correctly), but when I hit print instead of preview it  just doesn't print correctly, like it's not getting the layout information to the print center? BTW some how the hick up with 1 sheet of labels instead of all the sheets went away, if I choose records being browsed and then preview i see all 573 labels on 20 some sheets and they all look correct, but again if I hit print and not preview, the printer starts printing them right up along the left edge of label sheet (incorrectly aligned with layout parameters),and no adjustment seems to change anything.

1 2 Previous Next