1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 3, 2009 5:48 AM by ninja

Maintaining Sort order

steiner888

Title

Maintaining Sort order

In FM10 found results are dynamically maintained to adhere to sorting results. This is useful in most cases i.e reports but not for some. I am trying to maintain the found sequence while managing a to do list and postponing dates etc. To do this sensibly I need to be able to maintain the found order even after the date (sorting parameter) has been changed.

Does anyone know how to turn the automatic sorting off?

• 1. Re: Maintaining Sort order
          ninja

Howdy Steiner,

Thanks for the post.

i don't know how to turn the automatic sorting off...I'm not sure it's really "on" unless you've turned it on through a portal relationship or in a script.  FMP stores the last sorted order (I think).

But I do know how to manage a task list since I do it daily.

Put a number field per task record (mine is called "Priority Level" ) and sort by that.  If you want to re-prioritize, just change the number.  If the date changes, it won't affect the sort order.

I include a layout for myself which is a list so that if I want to do a full renumbering I can just tab through the "Priority Level" feilds.  If you just want to change things around a little bit, you can change 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 to 1 , 2 , 3 , 3.5 , 4 and reorder.  Key thing is to sort by something you have full control over.  As you get the tasks done, all the pesky decimals (if any) will self-delete as your task records get archived.

Hope this works for you!