2 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2013 1:31 PM by petermontague1

make a list of locations

petermontague1

Title

make a list of locations

I use a portal to list all the locations where my books are stored. When I look at a particular book I can see all of the locations where it is stored. I want to make a list of all of my locations. So I can see which locations have been added to my inventory. Before I started using this portal I used to use a location field. I added several locations to this field. I am in a transition phase where most of my locations are in the old location field and where all of the new titles are added to the portal.

What would be the best way to make a list that shows the locations from the portal and the field in a list, where each location is listed only once, if possible, in ascending order?

• 1. Re: make a list of locations
          philmodjunk

Just a list of locations from the portal table could be produced simply from a value list based on that table. Just a list of locations from the original field could be produced in the same manner. Both lists would be sorted in ascending order. But that would not produce a combined list sorted in alphabetical order.

To get a combined list, you'd need a set up (custom function or script ) that loops through both lists of locations and generates a merged list in ascending order.

• 2. Re: make a list of locations
            petermontague1

I think I'll set up a new table. I'll make the location field have unique values and then I'll import the locations from the portal table. Then I'll import and tick the add new records for the rest of the locations in the other location field.