5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 11:54 AM by TSGal

Make field searchable v.7

gsefinaid

Title

Make field searchable v.7

Hi,

I've been searching the help files to figure out how to make a field in my database searchable (I didn't set the thing up, and I just use a previously designed database with the fields that I need).

The field "Location" exists in one area, with two custom options. "on campus" or "off campus"

The help files told me to go to "File" "Define" "Database" to index the field, but when I look in there, the field isn't in there.

When i type it in, it told me the field already exists. 

I just need to be able to sort data by this information. It records it but doesn't tell me how to make that show up in find mode. 

I'd be happy with a link to the approprate knowledge base article! 

• 1. Re: Make field searchable v.7
          TSGal

gsefinaid:

Thank you for your post.

If you type in the field name and FileMaker says it already exists, then it definitely exists.  I wouldn't go looking for this yet.  Instead, do the following:

Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  On the left side of the screen (FileMaker Pro 9 and earlier) or top of the screen (FileMaker Pro 10), there are some tools available.  Click on the "Field" tool and drag it onto the Layout where you would like the field to appear.  When you let go, FileMaker will prompt you for the field.  Scroll the list until you find the field you want displayed and select it.  When finished, pull down the View menu and select "Browse Mode", and you should be able to see your data.

Now, pull down the View menu and select "Find Mode".  Enter the criteria into the field that you want to locate and press return.  The field will automatically index and find the record(s).

If you now want to find the field in Define/Manage Database, the upper-right corner of the Fields list says "View by" with a pop-up list.  Change the pop-up list to "Field name", and the fields will appear in alphabetical order.  You should now be able to scroll down and find the field.

Please let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Make field searchable v.7
            gsefinaid

Well, I feel I'm making progress, since it sounds like indexing the field is not anything close to what I needed.

When in layout mode, I get the option to insert a field, but the field I want to insert isn't on the list. Now what? 

• 3. Re: Make field searchable v.7
              TSGal

gsefinaid:

This is frustrating for me, too!

Do you have more than one table in your database?  If so, insert the field, and at the top of the field list shows the current table it is trying to read from.  Select the table that has the field and insert it.

If you entered this information in another layout, go into Layout Mode and double-click the field.  FileMaker will show you the name of the field and which table the field comes from.

Keep me posted with your progress!

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Make field searchable v.7
                gsefinaid

ok, well I messed with it some more. I'm not good at terminology, so i'll do my utmost.

I think it must be that I have multiple tables, because in one of my tables I was able to enter the "location" field. It isn't where I was going to originally put it, but it will work for me. :)

Now that I have the field and label marker in my layout, I want to make the label marker a link that will sort the list of all students by location.  

• 5. Re: Make field searchable v.7
                  TSGal

gsefinaid:

Glad to know you finally found the field.

If you want to relate the two tables together by location, then you will need a common "key" field to relate the two tables together.  It appears that "location" is the key field.  Once the relationship is set, then go into Layout Mode (View menu) and along the left side of the screen are tools.  Click on the portal tool - the tool just below the oval - and draw an area where you want the related records to appear.  Select the fields you want displayed and click OK.  Now, go into Browse mode, and you will see all related records associated with that location.  If you change the location in the current record, you will see a new set of data displayed.

Let me know if you run into any more difficulty.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.