Welcome to the FM Forum, kiwichick,
Why not put the field label behind the clear-filled field and set the field to be conditionally-formatted to be filled with Solid White when it "Is not empty"?
Thanks for the welcome Sorbsbuster and for the help. That works almost perfectly. When I enter the field the label disappears which is good but I would like the label to remain visible if the field is then exited without entering any data.
Uh? That should still work. If the formatting is set to be only Solid White (otherwise: 'Clear') if the field is Not Empty, then it shouldn't matter if you entered the field and exited again without entering any data.
You swear you didn't enter a <space>, or a <return>?
Sorry Sorbsbuster I'm very new to FileMaker. Now I'm so confused I don't know what I've done LOL. If you don't mind I'm going to start again.
Quote: Why not put the field label behind the clear-filled field and set the field to be conditionally-formatted to be filled with Solid White when it "Is not empty"?
This is what I have done so far:
1. I have a field called Common Name. It is set to transparent fill (is this what you mean by clear-filled) and has no Conditional Formatting - I don't understand what you mean by: set the field to be conditionally-formatted to be filled with Solid White when it "Is not empty"
2. I have a label called Common Name sitting on top of the Common Name field. It is set to transparent fill and has the following Conditional Formatting: not IsEmpty ( My Plant Database::Common Name ). I haven't added any further conditonal formatting as I'm not sure what to do.
And thanks to uLearnIT. I have tried this already but the label doesn't really disappear does it? It just that the text becomes so small it's barely noticeable. But noticeable it can be so, call me picky, but it's not really what I'm after.
Sorry, kiwichick - my fault. I was throwing ideas out there and I was ambiguous.
You could either make the label disappear under certain circumstances, or make the field mask the label. I meant to suggest the latter: place the label behind the transparent field, and then make the field go 'solid white' (assuming that will match your layout's background) and mask out the label.
So I meant you to place the label behind the transparent field, so it could be seen.
Then when data is entered in the field, the Conditional Formatting condition 'IsNotEmpty' is met, and the field goes solid [background colour of your layout part]. Then you would not be able to see the label.
I hope I have explained myself better there.
Thanks again Sorbsbuster, Yes you have explained yourself better but unfortunately for me I don't understand HOW to do most of what you are suggesting I do. Now I"m starting to sound like a real dummy so I think I'll just give it a miss. I do appreciate your time and patience though. Cheers from De in New Zealand.
My apologies, kiwichick: Bad explanation = My fault.
Try it this way, please:
- Go into layout mode and put the label behind the field. Click on one (the field, say) and use the 'Arrange' menu to 'Bring to front' to make sure the field is definitely the front-most object.
- Click on the field and make sure it is set to Fill = transparent.
- Right-click (PC?) and choose 'Conditional formatting...'
- Click the 'Add' button to add a condition.
- In the row of drop-down boxes that appear, change 'Value' to be 'Formula is'.
- Click the 'Specify' button, and replace the default calculation with:
IsEmpty (YourField'sName ) = 0 (This means that it works out if the IsEmpty calculation is true or false. It will format to the new colour if it is NOT empty.)
- In the formatting toolbox below the calculation line, set the Fill Colour to be solid white (or the colour of the layout it is on).
- Click 'OK' to accept all that.
Let me know how that works!
Awesome Alan, I so got all that! Thanks heaps. Now I know I had it right to start with. Nevertheless I've done everything exactly as you advised but I have the same problem as I stated in my second post:
"... I would like the label to remain visible if the field is then exited without entering any data."
This is what I mean:
The label is visible until the field is entered.
When I enter the field (by CLICKING in the field or TABBING into it), the label disappears and the cursor flashes waiting for input.
But, if I then TAB out of the field to the next field without entering any data, the label does not reappear. Nor will it reappear if I CLICK in the next field. The label will only reappear when I CLICK somewhere on any part of the 'background' outside the field.
Obviously this is annoying when filling in a form by tabbing from one field to the next. Sometimes a field will not need to have data entered and so I would just tab into the field and straight out again. In that instance I would like the label to reappear.
I hope that makes sense. Thanks yet again for your patience and help, De.
Why don't you apply conditional formatting to the label, so that when:
not IsEmpty ( YourField )
the label's text color changes to the same color as the background.
Hey Kiwichick - I have the same problem... Did you find a solution?