3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2009 4:29 AM by comment_1

Making .fp7 files accessible to newer version of File Maker

pakwayan

Title

Making .fp7 files accessible to newer version of File Maker

I am using FM 8.5 on my MAC with Leopard. It works fine. The files are stored in .fp7 format. I want to switch to Snow Leopard. I note, however, that FM 8.5 is not operable on Snow Leopard. I can buy a newer version of FM that will work with Snow Leopard. But, according to FM, Pro 10 will not access .fp7 files. Is there any way out of this other than sticking with Leopard? Thanks. Fred Eiseman

• 1. Re: Making .fp7 files accessible to newer version of File Maker
          davidanders

FP7 is a filetype that is compatible with FMP 7, 8, 8.5, 9, and 10.

The file structure is essentially the same for each version.

(some versions - 9 and 10 - can include file structure that is not available in earlier versions.

• 2. Re: Making .fp7 files accessible to newer version of File Maker
            pakwayan

Thanks so much. I based my statement on information from Apple about compatibilities between various versions of FM and Snow Leopard. The information specifically stated that, although FM 10 Pro would work on Snow Leopard, it would not access .fp7 files. I figured that if this were true I would stick with Leopard and FM 8.5 because I have a great deal of data in .fp7 files that I absolutely must be able to access. I am perfectlly willing to buy FM PRO 10 but not if all my data are lost. Thanks for the assurance.

Fred Eiseman

• 3. Re: Making .fp7 files accessible to newer version of File Maker
              comment_1

pakwayan wrote:

I based my statement on information from Apple about compatibilities between various versions of FM and Snow Leopard. The information specifically stated that, although FM 10 Pro would work on Snow Leopard, it would not access .fp7 files.

This "information" comes from FMI, not from Apple. As is often the case, it is very poorly worded:

• .fp7 files do not open; AppleScript command "open file" is now "open" 

Had you clicked on it to see further details, you would have seen that all it really means is that the AppleScript command "open file" no longer works, and needs to be changed to "open" in any ApppleScripts that talk to the Filemaker application. It has nothing to do with opening files directly from within Filemaker.