3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2014 11:32 AM by cosmo

Making a calculation field modifiable?

precociousninja

Title

Making a calculation field modifiable?

Anyone know a way to make a calculation filed modifiable.  I have a calculation that lists several text items in a comma seperated list, but I want to be able to modify the list if it is not what i want. 

Here is the exact situation: I work for a record label, and we have databases for our bands.  In the database the list calcualtion as aforementioned shows the bands that play before and after our bands (omiting our band from the list).  However, sometimes our bands are playing festivals, and the bands we want to mention are the headlining bands/bands of similar style.  Often times the bands before and after our bands are not the ones we want to mention. Thus after the calculation runs its course, I need to be able to delete all of the information becasue I don't want to list tiny baby bands in a press report. 

I was wondering if there is a way to create a field that copies the contents of another field w/o using a calculation to do so.  If there is, I can set a new field to redisplay the data from the list, but since it's not a calc, I can modify it. 

Any thoughts/solutions?

I am indebetted to these forums already from earlier today, but I hope I still get a little love.

Sorry, this is the first time I have worked with filemaker and I although I have a "The Missing Manual" book, i still hit a few cruxes from time to time.

Thanks,

pn

• 1. Re: Making a calculation field modifiable?
          philmodjunk

Have you tried using a text field with an auto-entered calculation?

FInd the field in Manage | Database | Fields and double click it's definition.

Copy the calculation expression.

Close the dialog and change the field type to text.

Double click it again.

Click the auto-enter tab

Select the calculation option and paste your expression into this field.

There are several options connected with this that you'll have to test and evaluate.

• 2. Re: Making a calculation field modifiable?
            precociousninja

ah...you are a god send sir. These sinple things to you mean so much to me.  Thank you for the assistance, adn thank god you are kind enough to share your knowledge with me two times in one day.  I really appreciate it. 

pn

• 3. Re: Making a calculation field modifiable?
              cosmo

This is a good start to where i'm heading however it still does not get me to where I need to be.

Are you able to do this with a date? I've made a few fields - one to place the date from one field into another that has been changed to a text type. I made another field using the same information provided above - but it will not pick up the date that is now in a text type field.

Basically I need to be able to alter the date if need be without changing the original date that's indicated in the other field. The field that I need the date to appear must be a date field due to it being used in a script that finds the date range.

Thank you.