5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2014 10:11 AM by philmodjunk

Making a product database

DerekSchep

Title

Making a product database

Hey guys,

I made a post about this a while ago and I don't think people completely understood what I was asking. Its been really busy at work so I haven't had the time to have a look at the database yet, so I'm going to try again.

I want to make a database for my father to track products in his business. Basically its role will be to track what products he has pending sale and which ones have been sold. I want him to be able to, when a product has been sold, press a button which then changes the product and adds a SOLD tag and prompt him to add how much the product was sold for and who by and who to.

I'm very new to FileMaker so if you know of any guides/videos to teach me how to do this.

Thanks in advance,

Derek Schep

• 1. Re: Making a product database
          philmodjunk

Is it correct that your father is selling one of a kind items? He's selling cars, real estate or other such items and not 1 out of 1,000 identical claw hammers at a hardware store, for example?

This would seem to need a simple table displayed on a list view layout. A button placed in the body of such a layout could perform a script that changes a field from it's current value to "Sold" and can use show custom dialog to present the user with a reminder that they need to enter the sale amount--another field on the layout.

• 2. Re: Making a product database
            DerekSchep

PhilModJunk,

Yes, the products are one of a kind. I ahve the table built, I just need to implement this script. Is there anywhere you know where I can learn to write a script to do this? I don't have the experience necessary to write this.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Making a product database
              philmodjunk

There are many books, videos, tutorials on FileMaker that you can web search and evaluate. What is best for one person is not best for another as much depends on the prior experience and native ability that each person brings to that learning process.

The script for this button can be quite simple:

If [YourTable::SaleStatus ≠ "Sold" ]
                      Set Field [YourTable::SaleStaus ; "Sold" ]
                      Show Custom Dialog ["Please remember to enter the sale amount."]
                   Else
                      Show Custom Dialog ["This item has already been sold."]
                   End If

Note: When Setting up Set Field, there are two Specify buttons that must be clicked. To get Set Field [Table::Field ; Expression], add set field to your script and click the first button (specify target field). Select Table::Field from the list of fields. Do not click the specify button next to the repetition box. Click OK to close this dialog box. Now click the lower specify button (calculated result) and create the expression to the right of the semicolon (;). Do not try to type in the semicolon.

• 4. Re: Making a product database
                DerekSchep

Thanks so much for your help! The database is looking great now. I have another, probably quite simple, question for you. Not that i have the custom dialogue set up and have set it to prompt for inputs, one of the inputs has to be a date. Now, i know that the field can be set as a date and have a handy drop down calendar to select the date in question, but I was wondering wether this can be applied to the input prompt frame. My script looks like this so far:

If [Table::Status ≠ "Sold" ]
                        Set Field [Table::Staus ; "Sold" ]
                        Show Custom Dialog ["Sold Dialogue"; "Please enter the sale information"; Table::Sold For; Table::Date Sold]
                     Else
                        Show Custom Dialog ["This item has already been sold."]
                     End If

Thanks

• 5. Re: Making a product database
                  philmodjunk

This is a frustrating limitation of Show Custom Dialog input fields--they can only be simple edit boxes. You can't use value lists or the handy drop down calendar inside the custom dialog with them..

If you are using FileMaker 13, you might try using a popover instead of Show Custom Dialog. You can then use all available layout tools to format objects in the popover panel.

If you are using an older version or don't want to use a popover, New Window can be used to open a modal dialog window and you can use that step with go to Layout to change to a special use layout where you put the fields that you want for this purpose and here also you can use all your layout design tools for setting up what appears in the dialog.

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking