AnsweredAssumed Answered

Making a reference to an external file

Question asked by MikeMcKay on Jun 18, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 18, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

Making a reference to an external file

Please forgive my general ignorance in asking this quesiton. I used to work quite a bit in FileMaker Pro (going back to FP3 and continuing through FP6). I've had less occasion to in recent years, so my skills are more than a little rusty!

The latest version I have access to is FMP10. I have an Excel file with information about songs that have made the Billboard Hot 100 charts (e.g., artist, title, when the song entered the charts, peak position, etc.). I have imported this data into a FileMaker Pro database I created many years ago that displays this information in a useful way.

I also have the songs themselves, in the form of .mp3 files. What I want to do is to store a reference to each song file in its appropriate record, without actually making the song file a part of the database. This database is strictly for my own use, so all files would be resident on my hard drive.

I'm guessing a container field is involved in some way, but I can't figure out how to link that field to the .mp3 file in question, as opposed to importing the song file itself into the database.

Would someone be kind enough to explain the steps I need to take to do this? Thank you very much in advance.

FMP 10

Mac OS 10.8.4

Outcomes