13 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2011 10:33 AM by SFX

    Making a Runtime Solution look like a real application

    ralvy

      Title

      Making a Runtime Solution look like a real application

      Post

      Is there a way to develop a Runtime Solution in such a way that when the user runs it, it doesn't end up just being a window within a larger Filemaker window?

        • 1. Re: Making a Runtime Solution look like a real application
          philmodjunk
             I haven't done this in years, but there should be something called "Kiosk Mode" for run time solutions that hides all the standard window features. You'll need a copy of FMP advanced, but imagine you already know that.
          • 2. Re: Making a Runtime Solution look like a real application
            ralvy
               I read about Kiosk mode, but rejected it because it sounded like it took over the entire screen, never putting the app in a window. I'll try it out and see what it really does.
            • 3. Re: Making a Runtime Solution look like a real application
              Skeyelab
                 I would be interested in your findings.
              • 4. Re: Making a Runtime Solution look like a real application
                ralvy
                  

                As I suspected. Kiosk mode takes over the entire screen in Windows. The only way to access another application is to use Alt-Tab. The FMP runtime is not running in a window.

                 

                This is not what I'm looking for.

                • 5. Re: Making a Runtime Solution look like a real application
                  philmodjunk
                    

                  ralvy wrote:

                  As I suspected. Kiosk mode takes over the entire screen in Windows. The only way to access another application is to use Alt-Tab. The FMP runtime is not running in a window.

                   

                  This is not what I'm looking for.


                   

                  In my solutions, I routinely hide the task bar and maximize the window so that I have a single window open displaying my database. How close to what you want does that come?
                  • 6. Re: Making a Runtime Solution look like a real application
                    ralvy
                      

                    PhilModJunk wrote:


                    In my solutions, I routinely hide the task bar and maximize the window so that I have a single window open displaying my database. How close to what you want does that come?

                    Not very close to what I want. I have different screens of different sizes, depending on where the user is in the application. Each time they load a particular view of the database, their window is resized to fit the data present. A maximized screen in many cases during user navigation would look lousy.


                    • 7. Re: Making a Runtime Solution look like a real application
                      vcirilli
                        

                      Are you developing for MAC or WIN?

                       

                      • 9. Re: Making a Runtime Solution look like a real application
                        philmodjunk
                          

                        Maximizing the window makes the current window pop out to completely fill the Filemaker Application window. That window can be whatever size the user chooses by interacting with the window's standard re-size features.

                         

                        Other possibilities:

                         

                        Have you tried the New Window script command?

                         

                        It's not perfect, but does give you a significant measure of control of multiple window type solutions. There are other Window script steps and Get() functions you can use to check the user's monitor settings that may help a bit also.

                        • 10. Re: Making a Runtime Solution look like a real application
                          ralvy
                            

                          PhilModJunk wrote:

                          Maximizing the window makes the current window pop out to completely fill the Filemaker Application window. That window can be whatever size the user chooses by interacting with the window's standard re-size features.


                          Unfortunately, some views use less space than others, so if the user chose a window size large enough to accomodate the largest view, it would make the smaller views look terrible.

                           


                          Have you tried the New Window script command?

                           

                          It's not perfect, but does give you a significant measure of control of multiple window type solutions. There are other Window script steps and Get() functions you can use to check the user's monitor settings that may help a bit also.


                          Well, if I can't get rid of that "outer" window completely (the window in which the solution window finds itself), what I need is a script step that will let me control the "outer" window. I don't see FMPA offering that. As much as I like FMPA, I think its runtime executable produces a terrible user interface.

                           


                          • 11. Re: Making a Runtime Solution look like a real application
                            philmodjunk
                              

                            Sounds like you could click over to the Feedback forum and make a feature request.

                             

                            Like all developer tools, FMP has its trade offs and limitations. You've just described one of them.

                            • 12. Re: Making a Runtime Solution look like a real application
                              ralvy
                                

                              PhilModJunk wrote:

                              Sounds like you could click over to the Feedback forum and make a feature request.


                              Done. Thanks for taking the time on this.


                              • 13. Re: Making a Runtime Solution look like a real application
                                SFX

                                You said:

                                "I have different screens of different sizes, depending on where the  user is in the application. Each time they load a particular view of the  database, their window is resized to fit the data present. A maximized  screen in many cases during user navigation would look lousy."

                                But you can use the inspector to lock the position of the elements on your layouts so they can fit better on your screen.

                                And about the:

                                "Well, if I can't get rid of that "outer" window completely (the window  in which the solution window finds itself), what I need is a script step  that will let me control the "outer" window. I don't see FMPA offering  that. As much as I like FMPA, I think its runtime executable produces a  terrible user interface."

                                It's not FileMaker's fault that the Windows platform cannot handle selfcontain windows causing FileMaker to have that terrible UI your talking about, beside you can always work around that creating a macro to handle the size of the "outer" window and a Send Event FM Script to run that macro wherever is needed. And if that doesn't work well, you can always get a Mac and do it the right way.