2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 12:00 PM by OwnagePie

Making a selection from a drop down menu to make its contents appear in another field

OwnagePie

Title

Making a selection from a drop down menu to make its contents appear in another field

I've created a pop up menu for a letter. There are 4 values in the list and what I want to do is that when I select one of the values, the value is placed into another field.

This is my scenario...

The pop up menu consists of prefixes, which will go before the contacts name. The prefixes are: Dear, Hi, Hello and FAO.

What I want to happen is when I select one of these options that it appears in a different field before the customers name so it will end up saying "Dear, Example Customer"

I appreciate any help, Thanks.

• 1. Re: Making a selection from a drop down menu to make its contents appear in another field
          philmodjunk

What version are you using, FMP 10? If so, you can set up a script trigger to do this for you. There are also other approaches by using calculation fields and or merge fields on your layout that can create the same effect.

Here's an approach that works with any version of Filemaker:

Define two text fields. For my example, I'll call them "Greeting" and "Customer Name" and make them part of a table called "Letter". (You'll need to use the field and table name from your own file in place of these.)

Define a calculation field named "Salutation" and give it the following expression: Letters::Greeting & " " & Letters::Customer Name. Set it to return text.

Now place These three fields on a layout.

Format Greeting as your pop up menu.

When you select a greeting and type in a customer name, Letters::Salutation will display the text you need for the start of your letter.

As I said at the start, there are other approaches. If this method does do what you need, post back with more info and we'll take it from there.